Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel Preference

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reel Preference

I'm starting to get into long lining and spider rigging. What is a good spinning reel that I should purchase. I am currently fishing with a variety of reels that I have collected over the years. I would like to purchase a few of the same reel so my equipment is consistent.

strmwalker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

don't know your budget !!! but you can't beat these reels SHIMANO IX 2000R Reel ,they work great and what I really like about these reels is that the drag is in the rear of reel !!! and the price is great !!! here is a site that has them and you get a deal on how many you purchase and the owner is a crappie.com member and sponsor !!! here is the website !!!

Monk's Crappie :: MonksCrappie.com :: SHIMANO IX 2000R Reel

"What if you woke up today with only the things you thanked God for yesterday"
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point. "AMEN"
    Likes skeetbum, maxwell328, cause LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Shimano IX series are hard to beat for longlining. I use the IX1000 and 8 of them going on 6 years with nothing but new line each year. Academy has the best price locally here.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 01-26-2016 at 10:20 PM.
    Likes cause LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the recommendation. I have one other reel with a rear drag and I really like that feature. The price is right too.

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I use. $14 at Academy. When fishing deeper, I bring the jig to the butt of the rod then loosen the rear drag and strip the line, 12 ft rod and 3 strips gets me 18 feet. Just remember to retighten the drag. Also good for quickly loosening the drag when you get distracted and notice your hung up and and about to break a rod.

ccgerlach, what part of Tennessee are you from? My home state!!

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Knoxville.

Post Thanks / Like

Home is Lawrence County. Vol fan?

Post Thanks / Like

Can't go wrong with any of the Shimano spinners.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the shimano recommendation. I have some that weren't high end to start with, 12 to 15 years ago. Slade is the model name and they have front drag which I prefer. No matter how much you spend or front or rear drag, loosen the drag some when you store them. Rear drag discs are smaller by design but leaving any drag tight for long periods compresses the drag washers and makes them hard to adjust and jerky when they give up line. That gives the fish the upper hand. The spool can't start moving before the line breaks. Loosening them a turn when I'm through for the day has helped mine last as long as they have and they're still going.
    If you like a metal frame and spool look into the Diawa Sweepfire reel. I found em cheap when they first came out and bought 6 or 8 of them and they do a fine job. A little heavier but not too bad.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with the rest of you Shimano!! I love em and no problems - only thing I was disappointed with them is they don't include a spare spool anymore!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast