Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braided Line Users I have a question?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Braided Line Users I have a question?

Is there a way to tie tandem jigs or hooks on the braid main line without having to tie a leader to the braid? I've been trying and it always breaks at the knot of the first hook or jig (top jig or hook). Never had the problem with mono just using a double square not on the first (top) hook or jig!
    If I dont ask its my fault for not knowing

Post Thanks / Like

I use the palomar knot and leave about a 2 ft tag end, then I tie on bottom of tag with my bottom second jig

or I use a dropper loop knot and a sinker at the end of the main line

Likes fe1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why you don't just use a mono or fluorocarbon leader? I attach the leader to the main braid line using the Alberto knot. Then I tie a #2 snap hook (Netcraft) about mid-section using a palomar knot and leaving a long tag end. To that tag end I tie another snap hook and I'm good to go. The snap hook allows for more freedom of jig movement, as well as facilitates quick jig changes, without having to re-tie.

I prefer the fluorocarbon type leader, as it affords a greater abrasion resistant material at the business end of my line. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Sure...I do it all the time when they are biting good.
    I use hyper snaps and swivels....some guys make a loop knot....this allows the lure to move freely, hang down, and not get caught up in the line
    I tie my bottom one on first with a improved double Palomar (go through jig eye twice)...then move up 2 feet and use a double Palomar on the higher jig.
    If you use GOOD braid, you will not have any issues...with good braid there is no need for a leader at all anymore!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by INTIMIDATOR; 01-26-2016 at 11:43 AM.
    Keitech USA Pro Staff
    Likes TowboatTroller, trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help but I honestly dont see the need for a leader where I fish.Never had issues for getting bit.I use PowerPro Super Slick Yellow 6/20 and catch just as many or probably more as anyone in the boat using a clear line.90% of the time I retrieve my jig and reform the hook if I get hung up while others are re tyeing due to a weak knot or replacing the jig they lost when getting hung up. We fish heavy brush,logs and timber and very rarely fish open water.

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Not sure why you don't just use a mono or fluorocarbon leader? I attach the leader to the main braid line using the Alberto knot. Then I tie a #2 snap hook (Netcraft) about mid-section using a palomar knot and leaving a long tag end. To that tag end I tie another snap hook and I'm good to go. The snap hook allows for more freedom of jig movement, as well as facilitates quick jig changes, without having to re-tie.

I prefer the fluorocarbon type leader, as it affords a greater abrasion resistant material at the business end of my line. JMO!

Post Thanks / Like

You dont have any problems with fish breaking the line at the top jig using the palomar not on the top jig? Please keep in mind our crappie get good size here 1-3/4 to 2.5lbs is pretty common.

Quote Originally Posted by short grub View Post
    I use the palomar knot and leave about a 2 ft tag end, then I tie on bottom of tag with my bottom second jig

or I use a dropper loop knot and a sinker at the end of the main line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by short grub View Post
    This is how I rig tandem jigs. Sometimes I will tie a small crankbait beneath a small jig the same way.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!
    Likes fe1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If I am vertical jigging out of a boat, tube, or off a dock, I use the Power Pro Depth Hunter, with a small swivel and a couple of dropper loops. If the water is really clear, I'll use two mono leaders (one short, one long) with the Palomar knot. The Depth Hunter is marked at 5' intervals, so I always have exact depth control, without having to set a clip or half-hitch.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok if I dont want to us additional snaps, swivels and an additional different type line and want say a 3" leader on my top jig how is that done just using the braid coming out of the rod?? In other just using just one line (braid)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fe1 View Post
    Ok if I dont want to us additional snaps, swivels and an additional different type line and want say a 3" leader on my top jig how is that done just using the braid coming out of the rod?? In other just using just one line (braid)?
    Tie the jig on the bottom...go up 2 feet and tie the other jig on! Or reverse that order!

Double the line, go through the eyelet once or twice tie a single or double Palomar, and do the same on the other one!
    Or tie LOOP knots so they slide around!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff
    Likes fe1, short grub LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast