Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Masters question ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Masters question ?

Hello to all the competitors and congrats to the winners as well . I was looking at some of the fish and it looked like they were close or possibly in the spawn over on the St. Johns river . Some of the fish were rather swollen and most had shredded tails and i was wondering if they are spawning over there . Of course i realize it is much to early for crappie to be spawning according to all the studies , but those male fish looked pretty colorful and some of the girl fish looked to be rather ready do the reproduction thing .
    i think I read they were in 2 feet of water ?
    Anyway i was just wondering what the professionals thought about the fish in that region .
    thanks in advance for your responses and have a great day .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

They are in various stages. Some are very ready while some have mid stage egg production. The males have been colored up and moving back and forth since mid January. Our Spawn does not seem to be like many areas I read about that is a one month show. I fished a tournament a few years back on the same water body in May and the winning fish were heavily egged up females caught in a bedding area. About mid December I really start paying attention to the big girls that are showing well and release them. I believe February is our heaviest spawn with some ranging from January through May if conditions are correct. Thats my thoughts and I am no pro or biologist. Just what I see on the water.