Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Short rods

I've been looking for a couple of short rods, for dock shooting and getting into tight places. I found a couple of dandies.

Lew's Wally Marshall Pro Series. I picked up the 5'6" model today. I really like the feel of it, I think it'll be a good one for casting 1/16 jigs.
    Wally Marshall Pro Rod Series | Lew's Fishing

13 Fishing Ambition. These are intended for kids, they have a 4'6" and a 5', I bought one of each on EBAY and they were delivered today. These will get a tryout at shooting docks. The 5 footer has some backbone to it, should be a nice rod for bream.
    13 Fishing Ambition Spinning Rods : FishUSA
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warhawk View Post
    I've been looking for a couple of short rods, for dock shooting and getting into tight places. I found a couple of dandies.

Lew's Wally Marshall Pro Series. I picked up the 5'6" model today. I really like the feel of it, I think it'll be a good one for casting 1/16 jigs.

13 Fishing Ambition. These are intended for kids, they have a 4'6" and a 5', I bought one of each on EBAY and they were delivered today. These will get a tryout at shooting docks. The 5 footer has some backbone to it, should be a nice rod for bream.
    I have two of these 13 fishing rods. I have a 4'6" and a 5' I love these rods they were great for all kinds of fishing out of my 10' jonboat. The shower rod was nice with two people in such a small boat. They work great for bluegills my wife even uses the 5' for throwing small spinners for crappie and bassName:  uploadfromtaptalk1453832582441.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  70.0 KBcaught on the 5’.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish.

There are several small lakes where I live, I end up way up in the creeks catching bream and small spotted bass. The short rods will be great for that, where a 7 foot rod gets tangled up in all the tree limbs, I can use a short rod and throw underhand to get way back in there.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

Post Thanks / Like

caught on the 4'6".

Post Thanks / Like

Now we're talking, as Wally Marshall says on TV ... Momma get the grease hot

Did you only catch bluegills? Or only kept the bluegills?

I catch bluegills, red ears, pumpkinseeds, and the occasional copper nose.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

Post Thanks / Like

I fished Geist reservoir that day and we only kept the bluegills we caught two 12in perch but we let them go. I prefer red ear I think they taste better and are more fun to catch bit when your catching fish its hard to stop and fish for another species. That day we actually headed out planning on crappie fishing and bass fishing but the bluegills kept biting on crappie minnows and shiners. We threw probably 30 or more back because we didn't want to clean that many. LOL

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're not using live bait, and want to get back under the overhanging branches or cast in tight quarters .... consider using the "dock shooting" method (underhand slingshot cast). Works exceptionally well when you can't cast overhand (or even sidearm) because of obstructions. Works best with a single jig, but with a little practice you might even be able to use it with a float/jig setup.

... cp
    Likes Alphahawk LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Let me know how you like the Wally Marshal rod.

Thought you were thinning out your collection not adding to it?
    "Another day on the water..."

Post Thanks / Like

I got to try out the Wally Marshall rod and the 4'6" 13 Fishing Ambition rod, yesterday. The Ambition rod is a bit too stiff for anything under 1/8 oz, pretty stiff even for 1/8 lures. But the Wally Marshall rod is great. The action is very similar to my Daiwa Presso, my favorite L/UL rod. I tried it 1/16 and 1/8 lures, cast great with either one. As good a rod as I've found for throwing light lures for distance and accuracy.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riptide View Post
    Let me know how you like the Wally Marshal rod.

Thought you were thinning out your collection not adding to it?
    Barney and I went out on Balboa for a couple of hours yesterday. Pretty windy, and we got skunked, but it wasn't a total bust. The boat ran great, fired right up after a 3 month layoff. And the Wally Marshall rod is great. Light, balances about an inch ahead of the reel support, and casts 1/16 and 1/8 lures as well as anything I've ever tried. I love it, and will probably pick up a spare.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast