Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: some one is always looking out for the crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default some one is always looking out for the crappie

WAPPAPELLO, Mo. – Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) fisheries biologists have worked for decades to maintain and improve the crappie fishery at Wappapello Lake. Biologists say that goal comes with many challenges, but they're up to the task.
    "Crappie fishing has a long history at Wappapello and we've seen ups and downs," said Dave Knuth, a MDC fisheries management biologist.
    One challenge to managing the crappie population at Wappapello is the highly variable water levels from year to year caused by flooding. The lake was constructed in the 1940's to hold water with a goal of decreasing downstream flooding during large rain events. While the function of the lake is a positive thing for flood control, fluctuating water levels are not always beneficial for managing consistent crappie populations. If water levels drop suddenly during the period when fish spawn, successful reproduction could be greatly reduced. Fluctuating water levels can impact all fish in the lake, including gizzard shad, a smaller fish that crappie and other fish eat.
    "Water levels can limit gizzard shad reproduction success, which directly impacts the survival and growth of the lake's crappie population," Knuth said.
    Another challenge is that the crappie population is currently made up of half black crappie and half white crappie. The data has shown an increase in the percentage of black crappie since the 9-inch minimum length limit regulation was put in place.
    "The problem with this is that in Wappapello Lake, black crappie grow much slower than white crappie," Knuth said. "It can take a black crappie three or four years longer to reach nine inches than a white crappie and a majority of the black crappie never get that big."
    This slower growth means only the white crappie tend to be large enough for anglers to keep and therefore very few black crappie can be harvested with the current regulation.
    "The reason we implemented that regulation was to improve the quality of the crappie population by giving the fish a chance to grow bigger before they're harvested," Knuth said.
    Knuth said MDC is thoroughly analyzing all factors influencing the crappie population at Wappapello and developing management alternatives to meet these challenges.
    "Our goal is to come up with the best strategy that will provide a consistent and high quality crappie population for our anglers year after year," Knuth said. "We're working hard to ensure Wappapello is a great place to fish."
    Likes love2fish, peculiarmike LIKED above post

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good read. I've caught a ton of crappie out of Wapp, but still yet to catch one that's half black crappie and half white crappie.
    Seriously, great article. Thanks for posting Beagle.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff
    Likes Tn Johnboy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Here's you a half black half white crappie speckName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454421392.870931.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  19.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Huh! And here I thought it would have specks on one side, and bars on the other!

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danny2072 View Post
    Here's you a half black half white crappie speckName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454421392.870931.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  19.8 KB
    Thanks Danny, but when I count dorsal fin spines, I see six in the pic, it appears to be a white crappie.

According to the experts, white crappie have 5-6 dorsal spines while black crappie have 7-8. I know sometimes just going by the color of the fish can be confusing. Especially in the spring

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

How many dorsal fin spines would a half white half black have??

Post Thanks / Like

Same as a black I believe 7-8,guessing I've been counting them wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2Crappie View Post
    How many dorsal fin spines would a half white half black have??
    Must be 6 -1/2 spines..............

Post Thanks / Like

This would be a good question for the biologists

Post Thanks / Like

Very good read. In about a month Wapp will be my new home!
    Likes Speck LIKED above post