Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bait Motel, floating minnow cage

Swampseed is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bait Motel, floating minnow cage

Grizzly jig has a floating "Bait Motel" for keep minnows. It's 36"x38" 165 gallons, anyone ever use one or something like it?? I have a 1/2 acre pond I could put it in.

Post Thanks / Like

Mom had a pond, a pier with 55 gal plastic barrels as floats under it. I made a box with 1/8" hardware cloth, 12" wide, 24" long, 36" deep. First it was tied to the side, heat would kill the minnows. I cut a hole in the center with a cover, that was better. The pier was on the northeast side of the pond. We moved it to the southeast side and minnows would live longer.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used it, but did make a floating bait tank to keep shad in beside the pier on Lake Hickory. I used the coated hardwire cloth and made it for about $25. I will try to get a pic to post here.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 5 gallon bucket. I drilled lots of 1/4" holes in it and a snap lid that's easier to remove. I tied an 8 oz weight to the inside on one side so the bucket will sink after a while. I tie a cord to an anchor, run it through the handle and tie to a gallon jug for a float. Another cord is tied to the bucket and jug. I fill the minnow bucket with the water from the big bucket instead of surface water. On a 3 day or more trip I'll buy a pound of minnows and haven't lost the first.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bait cage

Mine looks very much like these. Just add one of the floating tubes for swimming pools around inside top and fasten in place and you are set.
    Name:  bait cage.jpg
Views: 5829
Size:  68.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

A neighbor made or had one made like that. About 12" diameter 30" or 3' long. I picked it up from his trash pile years ago. Have never used it.

Swampseed is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for ideas guys!