PDA

View Full Version : Bass Casting Reels for Crappie

smoothlures
01-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Anyone use the low profile bass casting reels for crappie? I would imagine they would work great for trolling. Obviously not casting, but anything else they seem about right. I came across a couple nice ones for cheap and picked them up.

Does anyone make a good 8-10' casting crappie rod for trolling? Most I see are spinning.

M R Dux
01-22-2016, 02:35 PM
My bass reels became crappie reels just like the rods did. They don't get used as much as my Okuma Magda 15s do but they have their place.

fishervet
01-22-2016, 03:28 PM
my old bass reels are used for trolling cranks and I catch more bass than I used to, casting...and its alot more relaxing.

apersohn17
01-22-2016, 03:30 PM
I like them for vertical jigging. I can work the line much better.

wannabe fisherman
01-22-2016, 03:52 PM
I like'em on my spider rig rods. the ones with the thumb bar

INTIMIDATOR
01-22-2016, 03:55 PM
My Favorite Bass Rod and Reel Combo is an ABU MH, with a Quantum Smoke SL150SPT, and Smackdown braid....it is also my favorite Walleye AND Crappie setup for throwing the plastics I use!

CrappiePappy
01-22-2016, 04:01 PM
Anyone use the low profile bass casting reels for crappie? I would imagine they would work great for trolling. Obviously not casting, but anything else they seem about right. I came across a couple nice ones for cheap and picked them up.

Does anyone make a good 8-10' casting crappie rod for trolling? Most I see are spinning.

I use them on my 14' rods ... but, my shorter rods all have spinning reels on them. You "can" use baitcast reels on 8-10' rods that are built for "spinning" ... but, spinning rods have the guides placed on the side of the blank that's most likely to "give" (bend towards), so when they're flipped over to accommodate a baitcast reel, there's greater stress on the blank. (or so I've heard)

My 10' rods are Sam Heaton SS and Huckabee Dippin' ... and they're both great rods IMHO. Were I inclined to put a baitcast reel on them, I'd do so with no expectations of problems.

... cp :kewl

jackie53
01-22-2016, 05:07 PM
Shimano Curado and other models in their bait casting reel's have what they call (super free bearings)( Have the patent) that allow casting small lures easier. A learning curve (lots of practice).Can cast, skip small lures. Pricey but well worth it in tight places (boat dock's,low limbs(cypress trees ect).Shimano also makes the rod's but again pricey.

skeetbum
01-22-2016, 07:39 PM
I have two Jackie and they are smooth. Another is an out of production Quantum octane. Super smooth and light.

Cray
01-22-2016, 08:09 PM
Spider rigging

fishervet
01-23-2016, 12:02 PM
Spider riggingAND?:)

Cray
01-23-2016, 12:16 PM
AND?:)

I also use them Longlining where most opt for spinning reels. I don't do it often but iff jigging in deep water over 12 ft I will use one for the speed of line recovery.

fishervet
01-23-2016, 12:21 PM
I also use them Longlining where most opt for spinning reels. I don't do it often but iff jigging in deep water over 12 ft I will use one for the speed of line recovery.thanks for the info...you going to the toledo bend thing?

trypman1
01-23-2016, 12:38 PM
I love them for spyder rigging, Use line counter reels for long lining and cranks.

Cray
01-23-2016, 01:42 PM
thanks for the info...you going to the toledo bend thing?

Not going to be able to make it. Got 2 tourneys, one just before and one just after. Gets kinda expensive plus boss kinda frowned up with being gone that much. Both tourneys out of town. Sure going to miss it. Had a great time last year. Going to do some schedule restureing next year.

fishervet
01-23-2016, 01:44 PM
Not going to be able to make it. Got 2 tourneys, one just before and one just after. Gets kinda expensive plus boss kinda frowned up with being gone that much. Both tourneys out of town. Sure going to miss it. Had a great time last year. Going to do some schedule restureing next year.

I understand. Good luck.

jigfisherx
01-24-2016, 07:07 PM
Like them for spider rigging just fine. Never felt right dipping.

Gabepeeps
01-24-2016, 10:33 PM
Best thing about spider rigging with them is when in shallow water if you are used to using a baitcaster. It's easier to let line out when fishing with just a lil bit of line out. Set the hook, release line, and then swing in the boat all with only 1 hand. With spinning reels, it's a 2 hand operation. Baitcasters are a one hand operation and you have a free hand to net the bigguns!

skeetbum
01-25-2016, 04:15 AM
I have a bunch of low end Shakespeare BC reels, Axiom's if I remember right, and used em pulling cranks and jigs and deep jigging. No line twist makes em great for the deep stuff. Get a couple of inexpensive lightweight models and see for yourself. Might be the best change you'll ever make.

outdoorsron
01-25-2016, 11:50 AM
Hello: I use baitcasting reels for spider rigging also. I buy the reels that have a thumb bar and a flipping switch on them. I buy them on e-bay, spend about 15.00 each . Good Luck. O - R

Gabepeeps
01-25-2016, 12:02 PM
Hello: I use baitcasting reels for spider rigging also. I buy the reels that have a thumb bar and a flipping switch on them. I buy them on e-bay, spend about 15.00 each . Good Luck. O - R

What kind of reels are they and who do you buy them from?

Gabepeeps
01-25-2016, 12:05 PM

I want to get some with a flipping switch! Even easier to use! From whom did you buy them from?

outdoorsron
01-26-2016, 12:45 AM
Hello: I have bought Abu garcias, diawa's , Shimano's and Quantums. I buy them on E-bay. I try to keep the price at 20.00 or less including shipping. The reels are used but the ones I bought were in excellent condition, just older reels that work great for me. They are bass reels, the retail prices on these reels when new was between 50.00 to 90.00 and are a lot higher quality than any new reels in my 20.00 price range. Good Luck. O - R