Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing show observation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing show observation

You ever notice how these fishing shows catch 5 little fish and finally catch a nice one they say the nice one is the average for that body of water? If you catch 30 fish that are 7", and 3 that are 12", somehow I don't think 12" is your average..

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

It is if you are trying to sell something.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Cray, Clint, Crestliner08, fiveeyes, Hanr3 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mrdux has a valid point !!

... but, that one "nice" one MAY well be the "average" size for that lake. Not even TV anglers/pros ALWAYS catch really big fish during the taping of their show. But, since they can't stay on the lake for days/weeks on end to capture footage of them catching average or better fish .... then they tell you what the average is. It may be the truth, or it may be a bit of a stretch.

I mean, after all ... WHO can say they've caught every fish of a specific species, from any one lake, to be able to KNOW what the average size (then !!) actually is

You just have to take these TV fishing shows with a grain of salt ... they're promoting their sponsor products to make a living. And if you watch them long enough, you'll see their sponsors come & go ... yet whatever brand they're touting at the time, is THE best thing going

... cp
    Likes fishervet, M R Dux LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Mrdux has a valid point !!

... but, that one "nice" one MAY well be the "average" size for that lake. Not even TV anglers/pros ALWAYS catch really big fish during the taping of their show. But, since they can't stay on the lake for days/weeks on end to capture footage of them catching average or better fish .... then they tell you what the average is. It may be the truth, or it may be a bit of a stretch.

I mean, after all ... WHO can say they've caught every fish of a specific species, from any one lake, to be able to KNOW what the average size (then !!) actually is

You just have to take these TV fishing shows with a grain of salt ... they're promoting their sponsor products to make a living. And if you watch them long enough, you'll see their sponsors come & go ... yet whatever brand they're touting at the time, is THE best thing going

... cp
    AGREED!
    But Bill Dance always catches BIG FISH!.....of course he only fishes his own "Special" ponds for his shows! lol
    Keitech USA Pro Staff
    Likes crappieintern LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INTIMIDATOR View Post
    AGREED!
    But Bill Dance always catches BIG FISH!.....of course he only fishes his own "Special" ponds for his shows! lol
    LOL !! .... yes, he does. But, he didn't always fish those "private" lakes. When you get "famous", you don't always get afforded the courtesy of "privacy" ... so you have to make your own

Of course, Bill only SHOWS the big fish he catches. Wouldn't do for him to show himself catching dinks/slicks or Heaven forbid ... getting skunked

But, I will say one thing about ole Billy ... he's the only TV angler I've ever heard ADMIT that he doesn't promote anything that isn't paying him to do so !! He did just that on a show with his grown daughter, fishing for Bluegill with crickets (which his daughter calls "chirps", since back when she was a little girl). She asked him why he didn't do more "live bait" shows, and his answer was that no live bait company was paying him to do so. Now, that could have been easily edited out, but it wasn't ... so I have to give Bill kudos for his honesty, in that regard.

... cp
    Likes M R Dux, Mike R, spindle LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like the fact that Ol'Bill isn't afraid to show his bloopers, real funny stuff there!!
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everything said and I like old Bill but his bass show is not that good anymore because of the small private lakes he is always fishing. However I love his sait water show.

Post Thanks / Like

several things come to mind on this subject .....first off most of the bloopers are staged ....
    second they film for days and days in most cases to make a 30 minute show ...in private waters many times as well ....
    third they are just promoting sponsors 99.9% of the time .....gots to remember its TV ...
    i met one of them TV fishing show guys one time in a liquor store .....
    store clerk was like OMG its so and so ....he stops in here to buy beer sometimes .....(dry county syndrome ya know)
    i was like oh i just have to see this for sure,so i hung around a bit ....well sure enough it was him ....
    he had been hunting and was strutting around the store like a rutting buck talking huntin .......
    and then he bla bla bla..d about all the deer they took as well ......i thunk ok whatever .....this is Texas
    we are kinda overun with deer down here ya know .....then i ....
    went outside to leave and low and behold ....he had a trailer behind his truck flat FULL of lil tiny baby deer
    things we wouldnt think a killin down here even if we was hungry ......
    i wondered at the time if he was gunna do a show on that hunt ....
    ..... just drove off down the road gigglin i did .....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales