PDA

View Full Version : YUM Beavertail Jigs

Mud-Dabber
01-25-2007, 11:55 AM
I keep hearing about these jigs. I know they seem to be featured alot in Crappie World magazine. Any one use these jigs, when (water temp. or time of the year) are they best utilized. What size do you use and colors?? Lastly, where are some websites or places to order these jigs online or phone numbers?

I appreciate the info, willing to try, but they are not handled in stores out here in West Texas. Any special way to rig this type of jig??

Thanks,
Mud-Dabber

PieEye
01-25-2007, 12:18 PM
I use them alot. Go to Yum web site for dealers. I got mine through the company that distributes them. I had to buy a few for the discount but it was worth it. One caution tho is they are very soft and like to tear. I have to put a dab of super glue on the jig first and then they seem to stay on and last. Like anything else... sometimes they are the ticket and sometimes no better than the rest. Colors? I think I have them all and apply the color scheme the same as any other soft plastic. I have all the vibra tubes also. Of course you can also get the YUM liquid to get all over your hands too!!! LOL

Denny
01-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Hey PieEye have you got the new glow ones.

PieEye
01-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I'' ll be dipped...LOL no I don't but I'll filch a couple when I see ya. Hope you got the 2 inch.. uhhh something in chartruse this time... Do you have to glue yours also?

Crappie Chatt
01-25-2007, 01:23 PM
:D www.crappiepro.com has them <*)}}}><

Backlash
01-25-2007, 01:27 PM
I use them a lot but only the 2" size. My favorite is the pink and black. It's been a pretty consistent performer. The black and blue is pretty good as well and of course chartreuse and anything else.

Denny
01-25-2007, 01:41 PM
I have not got any yet ,They are 1" 1/2 white glow. I do not glue to lazy.

slabbandit
01-25-2007, 02:03 PM
I really like the Yum Beavertails! My favorite color for our stained to muddy water is Carolina Pumpkin/Chartreuse on a 3/16 Chart. Crappie Pro head. I am amazed at how long a crappie will hold on to the bait.

I agree to use super glue to hold the grub onto the head or you will be fixing it after every bite. I always pinch off the tip of the beavertail to shorten the bait a little.

Here are a few that I caught last year on the Beavertails.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/slabbandit/april222006bigslab.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/slabbandit/beavertail1.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/slabbandit/blackslab-2.jpg

fishindaddyo
01-25-2007, 02:09 PM
I actually feel that removing the tip of the bait helps it stay on a barb better so you get more use out of it. I've had luck on the firetiger beavertail and the vibratubes in wht/pnk & blk/pnk. I don't use fancy jigheads though, just your staple ballhead and darthead jigs.

GRIZZ
01-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Those are some beauts bandit. How heavy where they?

Billy2
01-25-2007, 04:48 PM
slabbandit,.......how do you fish the Beavertails?
Billy

Jason Piper
01-25-2007, 04:54 PM
Here is where I order them from:
http://www.lurenet.com/catalog.aspx?catID=YUM3X
That is there official site.
I stand by those baits 100%. I use them often on trips. I prefer the 1 1/2" curl tails though. They have worked on every lake I've fished so far!

crappie52
01-25-2007, 07:52 PM
alright guys i ordered some of these but at over 2 bucks apiece i hope they are good.

wrwest
01-25-2007, 10:06 PM
I read about them here at crappie.com. Found some at Wally World bought a couple of packages. Drove to the lake and started fishin them, worked really good. I use the 1 1/2" and 2" Both beavertail and curlytail. I have been thinkin about trying 3" too. BPS has the bigger sizes. I also got some on eBay.

crappiefarmer
01-25-2007, 10:27 PM
How do you work this bait? Thanks CF

bobberdown
01-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Here is a Bever tail on a jig Works Great!
http://www.secretbait.com/goggeyejig.JPG

old fuzzy
01-26-2007, 12:07 AM
hey slabbandit do you split those tails apart or do you leave them together to act like a paddle tail

slabbandit
01-26-2007, 02:31 AM
I'm going to try to answer all the questions at one time so here goes. First off I like to pinch off the nose of the beavertail back to the first rib. This shortens the bait a little but more importantly it puts the hook farther back.

As far as splitting the tail apart I don't really worry about doing it. Sometimes they split on apart on their own anyway. The beavertail design is actually a do nothing bait anyway in my opinion. Just try to hold it still or swim it around slowly. The huge paddle like tail will displace a lot of water with minimal movement.

Most of the time as I am approaching my brushpile according to my GPS, I will pitch my beavertail out and let it swing back to the boat as it falls. This catches suspended crappie and fish sitting right in top of the brush. Next I will vertical jig on down in the brushpile to try to catch any deeper fish.

I started out thinking that this was too big of an offering for most crappie but I have caught plenty of 6 to 7 inch crappie on them. Half the beavertail would be hanging out their gill flap.

slabbandit
01-26-2007, 02:37 AM
Hey there Grizz,
The big female weighed 2-1/2 and the big male weighed just a hair under 2 lbs. if I remember right.
Another thing that I have noticed with the Beavertails is that they have so much surface area that when a crappie enhales the bait I always seem to hook them well.:)

Billy2
01-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks slabbandit for answering my question.