Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: small creek fish size

Post Thanks / Like

Default small creek fish size

there is a small creek near me. it is 30-40 yards wide in places and depth ranges from 2'-7' ft. we can catch crappie in there almost all year round but have never caught anything over about 8-9" inches. will these fish in a small creek ever get any size? maybe there is not enough to eat in there?

Post Thanks / Like

Yea they will get some size to them, if they are left there to feed. They won't grow as quickly as the river fish, I don't think.

I wade a few creeks around here too, and have found one creek that has some good sized Crappie in it, 10 to 15 inches (biggest we have caught while wading creeks has been just shy of 2 lbs.!). They are trapped, they can't go down stream because of a huge obstruction (log jam) and they can't go upstream because the water is too shallow, but the spot is about 400 or 500 yards long, and about 30 yards wide, and ranges from no depth to about 7 foot. I caught a 6 lb bass out of it last summer, and several 3 and 4 lb'ers. Alot of big Gar in there too, maybe up to 24 inch long, and a few big catfish. This creek, before it was obstructed (log jam) flowed all the way to the Flint River. We have turned all of our fish loose, that we have caught there, so save them for somebody else to enjoy one day.

When we wade these creeks, we'll easily catch over 100 fish, everything from Bream, Bass, Crappie, and Pike. All on the same lures, and we'll wade a couple miles then turn and come back. The most fun (while fishing) I have had in years!!
    Kevin Taylor
    20XD Bullet

Post Thanks / Like

dang, where are you wading? we wade steger creek alot as well as the flint.
    steger creek is righg behind my house, an easy stroll

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's called Barren Fork Creek, extreme north Madison County. We have been hitting several creeks in the Hazel Green, Toney, Harvest areas. Where do you live? I live in Hazel Green.
    Kevin Taylor
    20XD Bullet

Post Thanks / Like

huntsville address, about 5 miles n.of winchester rd. off moores mill rd.
    neighborhood on left before you get to the creek bridge and scruggs bbq joint.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's according to how close to the river it is we fish a creek that's only about 15 ' wide at most places and catch a lot of 1# fish and we catch them all yr round it's a long creek and we catch the biggest fish about 3\4 of a mile back in it the closer to the river we get the smaller they get except for an occaisional big one I just figured that the renewable food source kept em growing
    MY Daughter My Sailor My Hero
    God bless Them All

Post Thanks / Like

You ain't too far from me, we'll have to hit a creek or two, sometime.
    Kevin Taylor
    20XD Bullet