Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spider Rigging and Longlining at the same time?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rigging and Longlining at the same time?

How feasible is this? If you're slow trolling do you need weights on the rods out the back? Never done this before so I'm trying to learn as much before I go.

Post Thanks / Like

Two different tactics, it isn't possible as you have to move at a different speed for each technique. When spider rigging I'm moving really slow so as to keep my lines strait up and down. When long lining I'm moving much faster!
    Smile, it kills time between disasters!

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. I will spider rig at 0.4-0.6. I longline from 0.7 to 1.2 or so. If I need to go faster than 1.2 I'm probably going to roadrunners or cranks.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes armyman, "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

But you could spider rig from front and back at .4-.6?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can..disagree with the notion that these are two different tactics. It is trolling, plain and simple. By tossing some baits out the back when you are spider-rigging, all you are doing is targeting a different depth if you are using the same baits. If you want to go deeper while maintaining the same speed, put on heavier baits, use lighter line, or baits that dive. Fish could be shallower than your spider baits..you may not see them in your TD cone..and you just might get some bonus fish.I troll for walleyes a lot using bottom bouncers, and with our rod restrictions here in MI (3 rods per person), I will many times toss a crank bait out to target fish marked higher in the water column. Many lures can be fished at the same speed/depth. Remember, it is what the fish want that counts. YMMV

Post Thanks / Like

I figured I could put out 4 or 6 rods out back with a weight to keep them vertical, same as the front. Plus pull a crankbait or 2 back there. The man in the back of the boat has to have something to do also!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nccater View Post
    I figured I could put out 4 or 6 rods out back with a weight to keep them vertical, same as the front. Plus pull a crankbait or 2 back there. The man in the back of the boat has to have something to do also!
    Yes, that's feasible .... but, I wouldn't call it "longlining".

"Longlining" indicates that the lines (baits) are being dragged many feet behind/away from the boat. The angler in the back of the boat would simply be "spider rigging" or "slow trolling" ... same as the angler in the front.

Since you have to maintain a specific speed to keep your baits well out behind the boat when long line trolling ... and use specific weights to keep your baits directly under the rod tips when spider rigging ... if you wanted to do both at the same time, the angler in the back would have to use some very light baits, and the boat would have to keep going at a speed that would keep those baits well behind the boat, yet still allow the front angler's baits to remain vertical. Then, what happens if you have to slow down, or get a bait snagged, or whatever would make the boat slow down or stop (even momentarily) ... the longline baits will sink down even deeper, and possibly hang up.

IMHO .... best case scenario is for both anglers to be using the same method, same rigs, at the same time, & at the same speed. Depths fished can be altered by how much line is let out vs sinker weight used vs boat speed.

By the way ... if the angler in the back is using 4-6 rods, I'm thinking he will have "plenty" to do, watching all those rods & changing depths on them to keep them from becoming snagged

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to me if your fishing the same out the back the same as the man up front, your fishing dead water that's already been fished? Why not use longer poles out the side in unfished water?

Post Thanks / Like

Power trolling or pushing and pulling.

Post Thanks / Like

AROUND HERE IF ONE IN FRONT IS SLOW TROLLING WITH WEIGH TO KEEP BAIT STRAIGHT DOWN,THE ONE IN BACK USUALLY FISH FLOATS WAY BEHIND BOAT OTHERWISE THE BOAT WILL HAVE THEM SPOOK CLOSE BEHIND BOAT,ONE DAY FRONT MAN DO BEST ,NEXT DAY ONE IN BACK DOES BEST
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8
    Likes Idunno, Red190, Drtodd10 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast