PDA

View Full Version : scales/culling

wannabecrappieking
01-18-2016, 05:29 PM
what are any of you tournament guys using for culling your crappie. ive been using the rapala touch screed with the red balls, but getting tired of untangling the cull balls. THE more weight in fish I store in the memory the more the total weight is off.

RogerA
01-19-2016, 07:41 AM
Balance beam works for me.

genec
01-19-2016, 09:04 AM
I TOO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW U GUYS KEEP UP WITH THE SIZE OF EACH FISH TO KNOW WHICH TO THROW BACK.EVEN WITH BALANCE SCALE AND CATCH ONE IN THE MIDDLE WEIGHT ,HOW DO U KNOW WHERE THE SMALLEST ONE IS AT ,THE FLOATS HANGS UP BAD,COULD SOME OF U EXPLAIN HOW U GO ABOUT THIS,THANKS,WALK US THROUGH IT

kickingback
01-19-2016, 09:21 AM
Rapala makes a great scale and it is so simple to use.

wicklundrh
01-19-2016, 10:06 AM
Two different live wells!

Anything in one is over a number, anything in the other is under a number. Would rather decide which of the two in this box to throw out than trying to decide which of the 5 in a regular box to throw out. But that is just what I do

Minners N Jigs
01-19-2016, 12:16 PM
You're only culling your smallest fish... He's the only fish that should have a marker on him.

CrappiePappy
01-19-2016, 01:41 PM
You're only culling your smallest fish... He's the only fish that should have a marker on him.

BINGO !! We have a winner !! :biggrin

... cp :kewl

keeferfish
01-19-2016, 02:29 PM

So you catch one bigger than your smallest and throw the small one (marked one) back.....now which one is the smallest???? Might not be the last one you caught.

genec
01-19-2016, 03:30 PM
KEEPERFISH U BEAT ME TO THE SAME QUESTION:dono

genec
01-19-2016, 03:35 PM
SO FAR EACH ANSWER HAS ONLY LED TO ANOTHER QUESTION,WOULD LIKE FOR THOSE WHO FISH TOURNAMENTS TO GO STEP BY STEP FOR US PLEASE

ET Fish
01-19-2016, 03:53 PM
We use the culling system, 7 markers and dry erase board with corresponding colors listed. Weigh, mark, and write corresponding weight. Weigh next fish caught, and decide if it is in the top 7. Culling beam for close weights. Since we can keep up to the limit, we do not toss #8 back. Keep a few bigger spares in case one or more expires! Takes a bit of organization, but my partner does a good job!!

keeferfish
01-19-2016, 04:12 PM
Some of the systems keep the weight for you, like the one pictured. I think it even keeps total weight. If #1 is the small one maybe #4 becomes the small one after #1 is replaced.

CrappiePappy
01-19-2016, 04:22 PM
So you catch one bigger than your smallest and throw the small one (marked one) back.....now which one is the smallest???? Might not be the last one you caught.

:Doh: ... good point !! Forgive me for my Steve Harvey moment :banghead

... cp :kewl

Mean Green 2
01-19-2016, 05:41 PM
Catch the 7 biggest ones first then you don't have to cull! Lol just kidding there are lots of ways to go about it. I personally will keep several fish then use balance beam to cull down to my biggest 7 at the end of the day.

genec
01-19-2016, 09:30 PM
OUR LAST TOURNAMENT WE CAUGHT OVER 60 THAT WERE JUST A LITTLE OVER A LB APIECE,THEY LOOK ALL ALIKE MAKING IT HARD TO KEEP UP WITH THE BIGGEST 7,SO I WAS JUST WANDERING HOW U ALL WERE DOING IT IN THE FASTEST TIME,THANKS FOR THE ADVICE AND FOR MORE TO COME

wannabe fisherman
01-20-2016, 06:43 AM
since I never tournament fish the only thing I worry about is keeper size and limit number.

genec
01-20-2016, 08:36 AM
WITH THOSE FLOATS HOOK TO FISH ,DO THEY TANGLE MUCH AND CAN IT CAUSE THEM NOT TO LIVE AS LONG TO MAKE IT BACK TO WEIGH IN? I HAVE A LOT OF TROUBLE KEEPING ABOUT 9 ALIVE ALL DAY SO IF IT IS CLOSE TO SAME SIZE I KEEP THE FRESH ONE AND THROW BACK THE ONE THAT HAS TURN UP ,WHAT DO U THINK

eagle 1
01-20-2016, 11:22 AM

so you measure every fish each time you catch one ?

crappielimits
01-20-2016, 09:45 PM
WITH THOSE FLOATS HOOK TO FISH ,DO THEY TANGLE MUCH AND CAN IT CAUSE THEM NOT TO LIVE AS LONG TO MAKE IT BACK TO WEIGH IN? I HAVE A LOT OF TROUBLE KEEPING ABOUT 9 ALIVE ALL DAY SO IF IT IS CLOSE TO SAME SIZE I KEEP THE FRESH ONE AND THROW BACK THE ONE THAT HAS TURN UP ,WHAT DO U THINK

If having trouble keeping only nine alive, I would first work on live well. Mine will keep 50 alive all day. May need to insulate, adjust timer, or adjust spray.

crappielimits
01-20-2016, 09:55 PM
A good set of postal scales is the key. Along with teamwork and communication. I used to keep the first ten and keep the smallest tagged or in separate live well. Keep a notepad with weights written in order. Make a note if a fish was hooked deep or appears weak. Cull these if same weight is caught. Otherwise only cull smallest fish. Recheck weights before weigh in and count twice by each partner. Be sure to bring strongest fish to line, if you have culls equal to smallest fish. Be mindful of a weak or wounded large fish that may be able to be weighed in early. Know when early weigh in is and have tourney directors number. Remember to keep your live well clean after each tourney.

Hanr3
02-03-2016, 08:40 PM
I think you are making it more complicated than it needs to be. Most lakes have an average size Crappie. In Illinois the DNR posts the average size for most lakes. Even if you don't have that information, 6 fish later you will know what is average. Average is the base, anything bigger goes in a separate live-well. Bigger WILL be obvious.

One of the lakes around me has 9-9 1/2 average size Crappie. You boat a 10-11 Crappie, you will know it. IF I reach my limit in 10-11" Crappie, then I keep adding to the winning live-well. I know I have a live-well full of larger than average sized Crappie, now its just a matter of sorting out the big boys. I use a Rapala scale and measure the 10 or so largest fish to whittle it down to 7. Takes all of 5 minutes. I'd rather fish than worry about creel size while on the lake.

OR buy a Crappie checker and check each one before dropping it in the live-well. Larger Crappie in one live-well and the dinks in another. At the ramp, use the scale or balance beam.

chaunc
02-05-2016, 09:29 AM
I think you are making it more complicated than it needs to be. Most lakes have an average size Crappie. In Illinois the DNR posts the average size for most lakes. Even if you don't have that information, 6 fish later you will know what is average. Average is the base, anything bigger goes in a separate live-well. Bigger WILL be obvious.

One of the lakes around me has 9-9 1/2 average size Crappie. You boat a 10-11 Crappie, you will know it. IF I reach my limit in 10-11" Crappie, then I keep adding to the winning live-well. I know I have a live-well full of larger than average sized Crappie, now its just a matter of sorting out the big boys. I use a Rapala scale and measure the 10 or so largest fish to whittle it down to 7. Takes all of 5 minutes. I'd rather fish than worry about creel size while on the lake.

OR buy a Crappie checker and check each one before dropping it in the live-well. Larger Crappie in one live-well and the dinks in another. At the ramp, use the scale or balance beam.
This is pretty much what i do except i use a cooler of ice to put the smaller ones in. A lot of times they're still alive at weigh in time and not soggy from sittin in the water all morning. I only keep 10 fish in the livewell and cull them. The smaller one is taken from the livewell and put in the cooler.

deltabound
03-22-2016, 04:22 PM
If you only mark the smallest one then when you go to cull it you will have to check for smallest again cause the new fish may fit in the middle of the weight range and there you are with 8-10 unmarked fish