Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Has there been a shad kill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has there been a shad kill

on Ky lake. My partner thinks there has , as he went yesterday and the gulls were going nuts.

Post Thanks / Like

last month when i went to a local bridge/dam there were tons of half dead bait fish barely alive.Needless to say i didn't catch anything.thing is,i couldn't figure out where they were coming from either.

Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed this before when the water temp gets real low. Every winter there is a shad die off, but i don't know exactly what sets it off. I do know that the die off makes the catfish go nuts, especially if it happens in a spillway .

Post Thanks / Like

Shas can't take the cold. If they get caught in the shallows, and it turns cold all of the sudden it will get them. Fishing is usually pretty bad for a couple of weeks afterwards.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb If you get .....

a quick water temp drop, there can be a "shad kill" ... especially with Threadfin Shad. Gizzard Shad can weather thru colder water temps, better than Threadfin Shad ... but, both are susceptible to quick temp changes.
    Threadfin Shad are more "surface" oriented (remain shallower in the water column) and are not hardy enough to live very long once the water temps dip below 45deg. .... cp