Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ice lures in soft water/spring and summer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ice lures in soft water/spring and summer

I've heard through the vines that many old timers that ice fish keep using their ice jigs and plastics throughout the year for bluegill, perch, and crappie.

Can anyone confirm this? If using ice jigs in summer is deadly, how would I need to fish it? I'm quite familiar with using jigs for perch but I don't know if I need to add a bobber to my set up, or lightly twitch the bait like in the ice season.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont ice fish but do use some baits dedigned for that. Yes under a tiny float, deadsticking and slow rolling.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 3/16 oz. spoons and blade baits, vertically jigging crappie, white & yellow perch in the spring. Can't imagine they'd be any less effective even in summer. I'm going to be trying the new Johnson's tiny blade baits this season.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I use big ice jigs when I'm jigging submersible lights in the summer.... Deadly!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys. I was looking at VMC's new line of jigs paired with Trigger X plastics. I do believe I have some Northland Tackle Bloodworms and gill getters, mudbugs, and other assorted jigs I might tip with a waxy or mealworm.

I also picked up last night some Trout Magnets that might use for panfish and jigging up at Lake Erie from time to time... Give the perch a different presentation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2Bass2Furious View Post
    Thank you guys. I was looking at VMC's new line of jigs paired with Trigger X plastics. I do believe I have some Northland Tackle Bloodworms and gill getters, mudbugs, and other assorted jigs I might tip with a waxy or mealworm.

I also picked up last night some Trout Magnets that might use for panfish and jigging up at Lake Erie from time to time... Give the perch a different presentation.

I fish Trout Magnets on tungsten ice jig heads through the summer when the Gills will get on the bluffs in Center Hill Lake...suspended about 30 feet deep. The tungsten gives me the weight yet allows me to keep a small profile as possible.

Regards

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. I fish my handcrafted soldered teardrop lures year round with great results. I tip them with red wigglers or wax worms and fish them under a slip float. Here is a drawing of my setups.

Name:  Basic Rig and dropper.jpg
Views: 3086
Size:  21.7 KB

Name:  my teardrops avatar.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  78.9 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes Dave and Lynn, 2Bass2Furious LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    Welcome from Alabama. I fish my handcrafted soldered teardrop lures year round with great results. I tip them with red wigglers or wax worms and fish them under a slip float. Here is a drawing of my setups.

Name:  Basic Rig and dropper.jpg
Views: 3086
Size:  21.7 KB

Name:  my teardrops avatar.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  78.9 KB

Saved onto my phone. Thank you very much Shipahoy! I'll have to give that a try in the summer!
    "They call it fishing, NOT CATCHING!"

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You are welcome.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes 2Bass2Furious LIKED above post