PDA

View Full Version : Got Mad at 2 of the Big 3 in Mississippi Today

Minnerman
01-24-2007, 07:06 PM
I was able to get away from work early today and decided to try my luck at Grenada. When I got there at 1:30 this afternoon there were bout 50 people on the south bank of the spillway and more than half of them were snagging. Got mad and never wet a hook. Left Grenada and went to Enid. Guess what? The same thing. Got mad and went to Sardis and finally found some people actually fishing. Didn't catch but 5 and gave them to an older gentleman. I did make one fellow think twice about keeping a snagged fish though. I stood above the rocks watching at Grenada and a fella snagged a 11'-12' fish. He held it between his legs and removed the hook from its tail and looked around to see if anybody was watching. When he noticed I was, he kind of sat on his bucket as if he was deciding what to do with the fish. After a couple of more looks toward me, he fianlly decided to throw the fish back. Could have been the green jacket I was wearing or maybe he was really going to throw this fish back.............I doubt it. He was one of the ones using a 1/4oz jig head with no skirt. To me this is a POOR way of fishing. How do ya'll feel about snagging? OK now I got that off my chest. Thanks

NIMROD
01-24-2007, 07:14 PM
It's a legal means of fishing here in Arkansas. It is only allowed below dams and no fish maybe released. You stop when limit reached.:D Most use surfcasting tackle with large treble hooks and large sinker. That are targeting most of the time large Catfish or Paddle fish . But all fish are legal that can be caught using other methods.:D

willsjwills
01-24-2007, 07:24 PM
there was a time when spillway fishing at Granada was fun, but I have to agree with you, Tracy, that what these people do is not fishing. I'm assuming it's legal, since you can keep fish that are snagged from the gills foreward. not much sportmanship there.
gonna try Columbus lake this week-end with my son. What you gonna do?:) :)

drill instructor
01-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Please tell me that they were not snagging crappie? I dont even wont to see that.

Minnerman
01-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Please tell me that they were not snagging crappie? I dont even wont to see that.
I can tell you they were not..................but I'd be lying.

John, I got one last weekend of deer season and then it's over..............Thank the good lord. I or we will be fishing next weekend. Somewhere, Somehow.

Jerry Blake
01-24-2007, 10:58 PM
It's a legal means of fishing here in Arkansas. It is only allowed below dams and no fish maybe released. You stop when limit reached.:D Most use surfcasting tackle with large treble hooks and large sinker. That are targeting most of the time large Catfish or Paddle fish . But all fish are legal that can be caught using other methods.:D

Here's the Arkansas Regulation on snagging:

"Snagging - fishing with conventional rods and reels where the fish is impaled by the forceful retrieval of one or more hooks. Snagging sportfish from a bank may only be done within 100 yards below a dam. Any sport fish snagged must be kept, applied to the daily limit and may not be sold. Half the sport fish daily limit may be taken by snagging, or the lesser whole number nearest one-half the limit, when the limit is an odd number, although a full limit of catfish and paddlefish may be taken. Snagging must cease whenever a limit of any species is attained.

Suckers may be snagged between sunrise and sunset, from April 1 to February 15. The daily limit for suckers is 20, the possession limit is 40."

I agree it doesn't sound very sporting to me.

gooch
01-24-2007, 11:12 PM
My grandad and dad used to snag red and blackhorse suckers in the Little Mazarn when I was a kid. Grandmother would gut em and cut the heads off and cut them into steaks then pressure cook them. They tasted just like salmon to me. I agree that it sure dont sound to sporting for crappie but sometimes I dont think spider rigging is either and I love that. In fact my dad and cousin told me they dont think it is. They dont tell me anything when there eating my crappie though.

crappieken
01-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Here in Illinois snagging of sport fish is illegal. Only "trash fish" can be legally snagged and then it is permitted only on certain waters in the state. I have seen tickets issued by our CPOs for violating this law. Illinois also has a hotline number you can call if you see a violation and it operates 24/7.

ceb
01-24-2007, 11:33 PM
I have no desire to do it, but...Once you see that absolutely worn-out guy that tries to make it back up the chunk rock bank after snaggin' all afternoon with nothing to show for it...You'll just about shed a tear for him. That's way too much work for me!

The reason that I'm saying this is because...I worked on a catfish farm for a summer during college. About once a week we'd get to go "catch samples" by the snaggin' method from a pond that was about to be seined. The samples were sent in to confirm the quality of the fish, as most of these were destined for the table. One day, one of the poor new guys was given the duty of snaggin' a sample. It seems that no one informed the guy of how to select the proper location of snaggin' a catfish in a farm pond. By the time that he finally got one...it was time to clock-out and he could barely make it to his truck.:D

The spider-riggin' thing, on the other hand, I completely disagree with as far as it's question of "sporting". To do it correctly, it takes a lot of prep work and dedication. You gotta know where to do it and how to do it. If the fish are slow, it takes a lot of patience to keep with it instead of moving onto another tactic. But it always seems to pay off. I see lots of sport in this...your just increasing your chances. With snaggin', the only chance is if you are gonna sink a hook into him; you don't have to trick him at all...

fishman247
01-24-2007, 11:36 PM
i grew up in western new york and always looked forward to salmon snaging in the rivers (think it was oak orchard and olcott) we used treble hooks with about 3 ounces of leas melted to them....
now i dont think i would snag anymore not crappie for sure.....it used to be dinner, now fishing is more than that to me

Ragfly Jig Man
01-24-2007, 11:44 PM
In my opinion snagging "bums" way of catching fish. It certainly is not "fishing".

Woohdog
01-25-2007, 12:34 AM
I've never really seen it done. Do folks actually catch a lot of fish that way?

matt s.
01-25-2007, 12:52 AM
I've snagged 3 times last year by accident.2 blue gills and a baby bass,of course all 3 was released.I feel bad when i do it,i don't see how it can be done on purpose unless you actually see the fish in the water.Then again i don't try to snag fish so i'm not fimilar with how snagging is actually done.

jlaughlin72
01-25-2007, 12:54 AM
I have to agree with CEB, although snagging is a lot of work and physically tiring I don't feel it is sporty because its not like you used any skill to get the fish to bite. Anyone can throw a treble hook out there and jerk it around. Where as when you are spider rigging, there is more of a technique to it, presentation, speed, depth and the right kind/color bait, you know all the normal things you do while fishing. I used to see people occasionally out at the spillway at Bundicks lake snagging, and they would pull in some nice fish and sometimes some nice ones. So i guess to sum it up my oppinion, Snagging is more like cheating, kinda like hoop nets. But any type of rod fishing wether it be jigging, casting, trolling, or spider rigging, will require more skill.

fingerlicken
01-25-2007, 12:54 AM
I don't really think you can call yourself a fisherman if your snagging can you. I have seen people at rend lake doing that below the dam before.

GRIZZ
01-25-2007, 03:08 AM
Snagging crappies??? I'll tell you 99% of the time I'm a nice easy going guy, but there are a few things that cross my line and set me off. Intentional snagging is one of them. I love to fish and mainly for the sport and challenge of it, and for the love of the outdoors. Seeing people out there with weighted hooks yanking their backs out of alignment makes me want to get the 12 gauge and the salt shells out. I see it as people with no class or skill aligning themselves with the bums on the side of the roads begging and collecting cans. It should be illegal everywhere. Its a stain on fishing and anglers.

The other thing that turns my ears red is someone who anchors their boat right on top of the spot I'm obviously catching fish on.

Oh and bullies.

Now I'm mad!! lol not really.... yet.

gonefishingee
01-25-2007, 04:51 AM
Next they will let them use dynamite.
I hook my crappie in the mouth.

willsjwills
01-25-2007, 06:24 AM
I suppose snagging will be with us for some time, so I'll just turn my head and go on about my business. I lived in Grenada back in the 60's when I was in college. On week-ends I would take my dad to the spillway for a little fun. He was a backwoods country boy, but he had scruples. He would get so mad at the crappie snaggers that he would just roll up his pole and go sit in the truck. for some of these guys , that's the only kind of fishing they do..after the crappie rush is over, you never see them again on the spillway or on the lake.
we don't make the rules. We just have to live with them and cuss them.

crappieseeker
01-25-2007, 08:20 AM
There use to be a good place on the TN river in north Alabama that was a very good crappie fishing hole at times. It was a water return pipe where the backwater from duck season was returned back to the river. There was not much room there, really only enough for two or three people to fish comfortably. I use to hate it when they opened the water flow because fish filled the area like crazy, mainly carp and buffalo. Sometimes the water would be black and they were so thick sometimes they would flop out on the bank. This did make the crappie fishing alot better, but the snaggers would be right in there in the way of the people trying to catch crappie. They were not snagging for the crappie, only for the fun of the fight from the big fish, but it was still a pain to fish around them. You really didnt have to be snagging to catch one of them, they were so thick that you accidentally snagged alot by simply jigging for crappie. I once landed a 60 pound buffalo on 4lb hi-vis gold stren. I didnt want him to break all my line off so I tried to land him and did. Snagging has since been outlawed there over the last couple years though.

DRPEPPER
01-25-2007, 08:36 AM
this thread brings up all kinds of memories that I have seen unethical "sportsmen" do.
Our company used to lease a ranch in south Texas for hunting. I can't tell you how many times I have chastised people for shooting game just to see if they could shoot it. I have cleaned and cooked jack rabbit, javalina hogs, snakes, etc. (instead of the planned ribeyes) just to rub it into some sport's face that I didn't condone killing just to kill. Another peeve that I have is shooting in a nest.
DP

SweetHomeAlabama
01-25-2007, 10:14 AM
11' - 12' Crappie????????????????

Dang, man, where are you fishing?

NIMROD
01-25-2007, 11:36 AM
I have no desire to do it, but...Once you see that absolutely worn-out guy that tries to make it back up the chunk rock bank after snaggin' all afternoon with nothing to show for it...You'll just about shed a tear for him. That's way too much work for me!

The reason that I'm saying this is because...I worked on a catfish farm for a summer during college. About once a week we'd get to go "catch samples" by the snaggin' method from a pond that was about to be seined. The samples were sent in to confirm the quality of the fish, as most of these were destined for the table. One day, one of the poor new guys was given the duty of snaggin' a sample. It seems that no one informed the guy of how to select the proper location of snaggin' a catfish in a farm pond. By the time that he finally got one...it was time to clock-out and he could barely make it to his truck.:D

The spider-riggin' thing, on the other hand, I completely disagree with as far as it's question of "sporting". To do it correctly, it takes a lot of prep work and dedication. You gotta know where to do it and how to do it. If the fish are slow, it takes a lot of patience to keep with it instead of moving onto another tactic. But it always seems to pay off. I see lots of sport in this...your just increasing your chances. With snaggin', the only chance is if you are gonna sink a hook into him; you don't have to trick him at all...
I used to snag years ago. It is work! It takes more than luck to catch fish this way ,there is a few tricks to it. Like any other fishing it takes some skill.

NIMROD
01-25-2007, 11:40 AM
I have to agree with CEB, although snagging is a lot of work and physically tiring I don't feel it is sporty because its not like you used any skill to get the fish to bite. Anyone can throw a treble hook out there and jerk it around. Where as when you are spider rigging, there is more of a technique to it, presentation, speed, depth and the right kind/color bait, you know all the normal things you do while fishing. I used to see people occasionally out at the spillway at Bundicks lake snagging, and they would pull in some nice fish and sometimes some nice ones. So i guess to sum it up my oppinion, Snagging is more like cheating, kinda like hoop nets. But any type of rod fishing wether it be jigging, casting, trolling, or spider rigging, will require more skill.
Without some skill you won't catch much setting even hoop nets. Don't run anyone down unless you've tried it. I used to spider rig for years ,now I only tightline jigs. That spiderigging takes most of the fun out of it for me. Each to their own unless it's hurting something.

pstone
01-25-2007, 09:21 PM
I see it all the time, and have actually done it before. I can assure you it takes skill. It's not very sporting, and I wouldn't call it fishing, but it is a lot of work, and takes some skill. I watched 2 guys the other day at Grenada, one of them filled a 5 gallon bucket up in about an hour (legally hooked fish) and the other guy had 3 standing right beside him. Worst part about it to me is the banks are lined up with people during the best times. I guess we will have to live with it till they change the laws...

Minnerman
01-25-2007, 09:31 PM
I used to snag years ago. It is work! It takes more than luck to catch fish this way ,there is a few tricks to it. Like any other fishing it takes some skill.

How much skill does it take to throw 2- 1/4oz jig heads with no skirt and let them settle and then jerk. Wind the slack and jerk again. Wind the slack and jerk again. DUH I dont see the skill nor the tricks it would take to do this. My kids would think a feller was crazy for throwing a jig head out in the water with no skirt on and they aint but 11 & 8 years old.

To me this is &#!!$#*^..!! Just my opinion. I will go ahead and apoligize if I have hurt someones feelings.

crappie cowboy
01-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Hey Everyone, I'm confused, is it legal in MS to snagg? :confused:

srm

Minnerman
01-25-2007, 09:46 PM
Snagging season

Yes there is a snagging season for nongame gross fish (carp, buffalo, gar, catfish, paddlefish) but not for any game fish (bass, crappie, bream, white bass, striped bass. The snagging season runs from October 1 - November 30 statewide except no snagging is allowed in Muddy Bayou, below Ross Barnett Reservoir and below Okatibbee Reservoir from the spillway outlet to the end of the riprap. Any game fish snagged(hooked in any part of the body except the mouth/head including, but no further back than the gill covers) must be returned to the water immediately.

zappaf19
01-26-2007, 09:00 AM
God help you if a Indiana CO catchs you! It won't be pretty or cheap.
Bill

Songdog
01-27-2007, 12:42 AM
See I'd be forced to go try course I'd probably end up throwing my line across their line and tangling everybody up then my bros would do the same on the other side and sooner or later some of us would have to leave

pstone
01-27-2007, 12:51 AM
I hear it is $200 if caught keeping illegal hooked fish.

God help you if a Indiana CO catchs you! It won't be pretty or cheap.
Bill

TJ Adams
01-27-2007, 01:06 AM
Never done it. never will...

Takes to much skill and precise work to do it for me..I could probly never learn how...O'well...I'll stick with the easy stuff...Crappie,bass...

Minnerman
02-19-2007, 09:03 PM
There aint no skill in it. Just blind luck. You throw out and jerk it in.