Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jackson Big Tuna

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jackson Big Tuna

I'm looking at a used Big Tuna. I'm assuming it's around a 2013 model...the color has led me to think this..."Black Widow" red n black. It's a big kayak for my first skinny boat but I'm a large guy...horizontally more than tall. (My belt buckle used to hit the floor when running thru my belt loops but I've drawed that up quite a bit since losing some poundage). I like the option of a tandem if I choose but mostly will be solo on some smaller KY lakes and might get in the KY River a bit too. Who knows where I might end up?

Seating is important to me (Old guy). The owner tells me this Tuna doesn't have the Elite seat. Question is...what kind of standard seat did they come with? Google hasn't helped much here because everything I find is displaying what looks to be the Elite seating. And I know Jackson still makes this Tuna (not the Black Widow color option) but I guess they're like everything else and they continue to upgrade & offer different options along the way so a few year old yak may not be the same as a current model.

I'll probably want to come up with an Elite seat if they are as comfortable as all the reviews I've read. Just wondering how the standard seating fared in these larger Jacksons so I can tally what extras I may have to pop for after the purchase. Owner tells me he's got the anchor system, couple paddles, wheel cart, some Thule mounting, storage hoist for garage, etc. Did not mention rudder so I assume it's not standard on these.

After looking at Retired's swivel seat mod, had the idea one of EZ's Millennium Marine seats might be nice if I could do a similar mod as RRetired?

"Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket ?"
    Likes RetiredRR LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The early years of the Coosa (and then the Big Tuna) came with the standard high-low seat. Elite seat adds pockets and lumber pad (not need IMO) and was an up charge and then later became standard.

I have had myself (240 lb) and another bigger guy (guessing 275-300 range) and had no issue with the standard seat.

Post Thanks / Like

My brother has that year big tuna. I don't believe they offered another seat. It should be a grey seat with a pouch on the back. I have borrowed his yak many times it is very comfortable and stable. Hope this helps. I also love that color scheme. That's the color of my coosa. Hope you get a good deal on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info gentlemen. Sounds like maybe a Google image search wouldn't really reveal the diff between the 2 seats?
    So the Elite seat is actually just pockets and lumbar? I could handle that & make my own adjustments I'm sure if needed. I wanted that hi-lo seating and if that's standard, I'll be good to go.
    Yep, me too, Fishglh...I kinda liked that color option myself.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2014 tuna, enjoyed it. Just was not right for my type fishing. Wife and I use it every weekend. I found a used Hobie pro angler 14 2012. Love it! Tuna was just too small for me. I'm over 55 and 6'2 over 250. The way the tuna is built, there's not much room of the sides. There's 8' of boat in front of you when fishing. You will enjoy the tuna! Put a rudder on it. If you can afford the Hobie, you can't beat it!

Post Thanks / Like

By the specs it looks like a tank. I can't imagine there wouldn't be enough room for my use but I'm not 6'2" either. Specs say it's 35" wide? That's right up there with the widest that I have researched. I liked the specs on the Big Rig before I come across this Big Tuna. I may not really need a 14' yak but I'm rolling with the flow on a used one & this one might be my yak ticket to begin with.

As far as the Hobie PA...I am sure it's top shelf. Lotsa positive experiences from experienced kayak guys. But the $$$ put it out of the running for my case.

Post Thanks / Like

If the tuna is to much boat for you. I've got a coosa we may be able to make a trade but the tuna is a really stable platform it a little in the heavy side.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=KiK;3121279]I'm looking at a used Big Tuna. I'm assuming it's around a 2013 model...the color has led me to think this..."Black Widow" red n black. It's a big kayak for my first skinny boat but I'm a large guy...horizontally more than tall. (My belt buckle used to hit the floor when running thru my belt loops but I've drawed that up quite a bit since losing some poundage). I like the option of a tandem if I choose but mostly will be solo on some smaller KY lakes and might get in the KY River a bit too. Who knows where I might end up?

Seating is important to me (Old guy). The owner tells me this Tuna doesn't have the Elite seat. Question is...what kind of standard seat did they come with? Google hasn't helped much here because everything I find is displaying what looks to be the Elite seating. And I know Jackson still makes this Tuna (not the Black Widow color option) but I guess they're like everything else and they continue to upgrade & offer different options along the way so a few year old yak may not be the same as a current model.

I'll probably want to come up with an Elite seat if they are as comfortable as all the reviews I've read. Just wondering how the standard seating fared in these larger Jacksons so I can tally what extras I may have to pop for after the purchase. Owner tells me he's got the anchor system, couple paddles, wheel cart, some Thule mounting, storage hoist for garage, etc. Did not mention rudder so I assume it's not standard on these.

After looking at Retired's swivel seat mod, had the idea one of EZ's Millennium Marine seats might be nice if I could do a similar mod as RRetired?[/QUOT]
    That swivel seat is great for accessing the back of the kayak, and I like to dip my feet in the water in the summertime. Haven't checked out the possibilities of
    modifying the Jackson for a swivel seat like the EZ's Millennium, but bet it can be done.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Likes KiK LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with the original seat that is in a 2013 Tuna. I had same seat in my Coosa in 2012. I had a Coosa and a Wilderness Ride 115. Hated the seat in the Ride and it was much better on a lake than the Coosa. Got the idea from RetiredRR several years back to put my Jackson seat in my Wilderness Ride......I was in heaven then. I too am a big guy. Those Jackson seats are very comfortable. Sold my Ride and picked up Prowler BG II which had basically same seat as the Coosa. Now the Ride comes with seat very similar to the Jackson and Native seats. Very comfortable seats.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast