Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat project help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat project help

I have a 22 ft John boat, it's a rough riding sucker. I have 2 batteries for my troller mounted in the front of the boat, I have them secured tightly. After several attempts. Now I have a problem with the water in the battery splashing out under the caps and making a mess. Is there anyway to prevent that? I really don't want to move them to the back of the boat. Due to wire length and extra weight back there which is already an issue. I'm replacing the floor and building an extra front deck So I have options . anyways any help or ideas would be appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Only solution I know of is to get a sealed battery or if you got the money get an Agm battery.
    Smile, it kills time between disasters!
    Likes barrelslime, wicklundrh, Machine LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Get some plastic battery boxes with lids . If you have a spill it stays in the boxes and not on the boat floor.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a post similar to this yesterday on porposing and adding weight up front etc. I am just a dumb old fishing fart okay.But I can tell you a couple things that maybe will help you and some people won't agree with . But I will tell you that I'm not guessing I have done these things to improve boat performance.

If you have tilt trim you can add a hydrofoil to the motor.Or install electric trim tabs. You can adjust the angle of the motor or trim tab angle and power to find the best bow attitude and best overall ride depending on the water conditions.It will vary depending on wave height and distance between waves. IF you have lots of horsepower to boat ratio and a perfect setup with jackplate and trim you don't really need any of the other stuff most of the time....but a lot of boats don't and need help.

You can put a large cooler in the front...and bail water in and out of it to find a good combination of weight to experiment and exactly where to locate it. An adjustable water level livewell up front is ideal because you can of course adjust it based on conditions . It's a form of ballast sorta like big vessels use.

Wet cell batteries ,even most supposedly "sealed ones" can leak some if overcharged or jostled. Especially if you pound them.Also it will shorten the life of them if they are subject to a lot of bouncing.How much will vary but it's going to affect them. The new batteries AGM...etc are suppose to take it but I do not know I have never used them.I would think they would based on their construction,but they are expensive and I am not sure I would want to shock them even if I felt confident they would take it.

If you try to control the bow attitude with any method you can create a dangerous situation by plowing the bow.It can cause you to spear a wave or create weird handling characteristics. You have to go slow and experiment and gain some experience on the water under different conditions to get a feel for it. When in doubt back off and get the bow up. Boats with a keel can begin to steer with the keel but the jon should not do that as bad but you have to be careful and have a feel in the seat of the pants and steering what the boat is doing and use common sense.You will learn exactly what to do and when.

When you see a high horsepower bassboat running pretty fast in rough water they generally are "up on the pad" as its called...the boat is just running on a foot or so of the bottom just forward of the motor and that helps smooth things out. If you can't do that you have to do other stuff.

Buy you one of them spring seats LOL

I'm just talkin on that dang old internet and probably told you stuff you already know but there it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Same problem on a boat that I had once. I put wood and some foam under them and it helped a little. I finally just moved them to the back of the boat and it solved the problem.

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Some battery boxes and some rubber isolation pads should solve the problem of the batteries from the rough ride but i would focus on eleminating the rough ride. A boat with decent power to size ratio with the motor set at the right height and power trim should not ride rough on normal lake conditions. Now a boat being WET is a different story "ask me how I know".

Post Thanks / Like

wet lead acid batteries must vent, they will always leak some under harsh conditions. Maybe automotive absorbent diaper or pads would keep spills contained. Better keep a jug of distilled water handy too for refills. I have only one Optima agm battery but it's many years old and has been in 4x4s, camper, couple of boats , real beat up lookin and still working good. No spills either.
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I would sure put them in some plastic battery boxes to contain water and acid spills.....because that will cause problems with the aluminum....not good.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes skeetbum, Clint, Blackhawk19 LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What he said.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes jhill10 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies, but let me get more into detail now, I'm planning on adding float pods to the back. I have the gas tank and 2 other batteries and a 110gal live well back there for catfish tournaments. So I really don't wanna add more weight back there if I don't have to. Plus I myself is pushing 350lbs. I had the batteries and in boxes before but they didn't hold up in rough water. "I call 4ft waves rough". So I made a bracket out of punched angle metal. That I could Adjust to snug up tight to the batteries, I have a 3/4" rubber piece under the batteries. They are secure. And don't move but I'm still getting leaks. So maybe I will just have to figure a way to move em farther back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast