Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: For my fellow jig and fly makers

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up For my fellow jig and fly makers

I was over at Hobby Lobby yesterday and found some things for the jig making box. If you have one of their stores near you, you may want to check them out. They have all their plastic storage boxes marked 30% off. I picked up a couple for orgainzing my supplies and storing extra jigs and flys.
    I also got a couple of spools of beading wire, one in gold and the other in copper. I thought that might be good for segmenting "bugs" or making a metallic thread head. Beading wire is available in everything from 32 gauge (what I got) up to 20 gauge. They also had an assortment pack of beading thread in a variety of colors for a fraction of of the cost of jig thread. I'm not sure yet how it will work, but if it does, it's certainly cheap.
    Spend some time in the jewelry making area for beads, thread and wire,and the doll making supplies for feathers, including marabou. It's pretty amazing how many of the general craft supplies have lure making potential. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

You've found one of my tying suppliers, Roberta. The Wal-Mart craft shop is another good place to pick up all kinds of goodies, but I'm sure you have already found that resource. It's amazing what you can find in different stores that you can use to tie jigs and flys. I also use a lot of knitting materials for certain pre-emergent insects, plenty of colors to choose from in yarn. Of course, there are certain materials one can get only in a fly shop, and I frequent them fairly often, too. Good luck, and thanks for the heads up!

Post Thanks / Like

That is also what i do. or i go to any bead store or any craft store near me. I just look for the sales. Go to the different sporting shows that have dealers there, they always seem to sell thing a lot cheaper then.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D