Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spider Rigging Setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rigging Setup

Wanna try my luck and learn to Spider Rig.

Dont really want new stuff just incase I dont like it.

Need the rod holder and also rods.. Let me know what yall have that you want rid of.. Items will need to be shipped as well..

Post Thanks / Like

Have you got somewhat of a budget that you feel you can spend.

First - need rod/holders - can be bought or made
    Rods - how big is your boat - what size rods do you feel you can handle
    Reels - these can be at all price range - mainly something that you can put line
    on as a holding spot.
    Tolling Mtr - what kind are you wanting - short term - long term multi uses.
    After a while - when you get into type of baits - jigs - zips - cranks - double/single
    hook sets
    Weights - multi sizes etc.

Might start by making your complete "wish list" than start putting costs to it
    (new - used ) yard sale - closeouts - e-bay etc.

Just some thoughts my friend

Post Thanks / Like

All I'm needing is rod holder, rods and some reels for them. I have crappie fished all my life but never spider rig. I have all the tackle and line covered. I have a 18ft polar kraft aluminum bass boat. I'm thinking rod length around 12 to 14 ft with a 4 pole setup. I'm just not wanting to sink a lot of money into this and not like it. This is why I'm looking for used items. I could go with the pinnacle rods and some reels. But if I can get better quality used then that would be better. Reels don't have to be fancy. Some little cardinals would work or something else for that matter. I like the looks of the spider lok holder as it can be removed easily as I bass fish as well. If nothing appears I will just buy new.

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on needs - Spyder Loc's are nice - i have 2 sets on rear of boat
    to me they are somewhat overkill for what you want to do. Well machined etc.
    I use Tite-Loc's up front - just for simplicity - get the 24 in t-bar vs the 16.
    You can put a 5 rod holder in it -only have to have rod holder- lock washer
    your ready to go. Now you have a 10 spread instead of 8.
    Simple to set up - knock down...........
    14 ft rods are the most common used - get you away from boat & sound
    of trolling motor
    Pinnacle - Uncle Bucks -Shakespear Crappie Hunter (real bad) Hy-Tek are not rods
    i would start out with
    You want a medium wgt rod with a backbone - limber, fast tipped (black widow
    style) will be in trash on first trip.
    E-bay can find nice reasonable reels for around 5 -8 each = they are great.
    Grizzly Jig Co - excellant people to work with and can read up on what equipment
    you might want. They are on Internet and will send you Catalog - just call them
    Later my friend

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Having been a die hard single pole jig slinger for decades, I know what you're going through and why you're cautious.

I started with 10' rods and eventually got three 14' rods, so I could fish straight out the front instead of having to fish off to the side at 45-60deg angle.

Bought my two 4rod Hi-Tek Elite V rod holders from a member in this forum. Received a 14' BnM PST as a Christmas present, and got that same friend to buy me two Capps/Coleman 14' rods at a discount. Used some baitcast reels that weren't being used for anything, at the time. Even that little bit of "spider rigging equipment" and I'm catching fish that I may not have when using other methods.

I'd keep my eyes on this forum, as there's always someone selling rods, reels, & rod holders. You might even keep an eye on the Member Sponsor Classified forum, and watch for "Locator79" to post a sale on some used reels. May even run across a Sponsor sale for rods, too.

... cp
    Likes Buckie02 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle rods will be fine. I have been fishing 12 footers for 4 years and they have caught a lot of fish. $70 for 4 from Grizzly is a cheap way to get started.
    I use Mitchell Avocet IV spinning reels on the Pinnacles.Nice little reel for the purpose with a decent drag. Cabela's has them on sale for $18 right now.
    So for less the $150 you can have a set of 4 that will catch fish.
    I will say this. I messed around with several rods of different brands for a while. When I finally broke down and purchased a matching set of rods I started catching more fish.
    It is easier to see the bite when all of the rods have identical profiles.

Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle looks to be the way to go and prob easiest on wallet. Will check Wally world tomorrow and see what I might stumble across.

Okay I'm good for the rods and reels. Now onto the rod holders. If anyone has one they arent using with 4 holders let me know.

Thx all for the info and PM's

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a welder and cutting torch. Best bet is to make your own setup. I can get some pics of the old setup I used. Its made from flat steel pipe and fittings. Takes a couple of hours to make. And fits around your seat pole. And works great.
    Pete

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

monks has shimano reels on the cheap if you are going spinning reels . I will say that I double spent having replaced rods, reels, and rod holders . lol buy the good stuff . It will resale .jmo .
    Likes buzzbait LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Get some nice spinning reels and bait-casters on eBay with 10 or more bearings for 10.00 to 20.00 dollars. Come from Asia but the bait asters are so good I use them bass fishing.
    The truth is hard to accept, so is life .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast