Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ??? Adding weight to the bow ???

Post Thanks / Like

Default ??? Adding weight to the bow ???

Just wandering how much weight I should start with and exactly where to place it, as far to the nose as possible or back some??
    I'm putting it in a 190 tracker and I have already moved my trolling motor batteries to the front center storage console. The battery move helped with some bounce but still have room to improve I think. Also not worried about top speed or planning out, planes out super quick now.

Post Thanks / Like

I used lead under my deck extension, like 200 pounds. Just have to play with it, also keep the fuel tank full. May not seem like it but getting too light in the rear end will defeat the purpose. I fish out of a glass boat but my partner has the same boat you do and I really don't think you can overload it, heck of a platform in a tin boat. Good luck.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925
    Likes Red190, skeetbum LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What I would do is go to a tire shop and see if they have any old inner tubes laying around. Cut a section and tie one end off, fill with about 50 lbs of sand and tie off the other end. Make you up about 4 of those and lay them around up front. That way you can move them around and see where more weight would help and check balance. Once you find sweet spot then look at adding lead weight that wouldn't take up as much space.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes skeetbum, Blackhawk19 LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a jackplate you might be checking the height of the motor is right. Improper height will also cause porpoising. I don't know much more than that.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have a fin on the motor you should do that first. With electric trim you can tweak it out to settle right in and you have the added benefit of being able to stay on plane at low speed. I know you don't want to hear this but batteries don't like being pounded. If you will go to the trouble you can build a livewell in the front and control the water level. Electric trim,a fin,and an adjustable water level well in the front will tame a boat right down.

Trim tabs are the perfect solution but most people just don't want to mess with it....but you will own a different boat if you make the investment

I have even used a large cooler in the front and just filled it and emptied it with a bucket and still do that in one of my jon boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments folks. Will let u no how it turns out.

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

T & H Marine makes a transom wedge that will solve your problems with out all that extra weight! The wedge changes the engine angle and adds more "tuck".

Monk

Post Thanks / Like

AGM batteries solve the "pounding" issue. You can mount them upside down if you want to. Doesn't matter as there is no Lead Acid in them.

To much weight up front and your boat begins to "plow". On certain days (high wind, waves, etc) you want the bow to ride a little higher in the water. Adding a hydrofoil stabilizer (like the Doel Fin) will provide what you are looking for in terms of ride.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Weight in the bow can bite you in rough water. Keeps the bow from riding over a wave as easily. Spear a wave and you can take on a lot of water fast and get so low in the water you take even more water from the next one. It will also make impacts with the waves that much harder when the bow does drop.

Propeller, trim and motor height can all help or hurt the behavior of the bow when running.

Post Thanks / Like

Fill my front livewell. leaving the rear one empty. Get on plane faster and have a more stable ride. Hydrofoil fins attached to both sides of the motor also stabilize, especially in tighter turns.

If I didn't do the above, I'd have to make my fat brother-in-law ride in the front of the boat. (BTW - I never go out when the wave are over a foot or when the wind speed is above 20 mph. Just not worth the risk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast