Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: KDWPT 2016 Fish Regulations Summary Available Online

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default KDWPT 2016 Fish Regulations Summary Available Online

The 2016 Kansas Fishing Regulations Summary is available for download HERE. Printed copies should be available at license vendors and KDWPT offices by mid-January.

Post Thanks / Like

Craig I question if I clean some crappie and keep the heads and rib cages can i use this for blue cat bait on a reservoir

Post Thanks / Like

Another question if I catch some crappie under 10 inches at Pamona keep them and freeze them can I use them as blue cat bait on Melvern

Post Thanks / Like

Good questions Bill, wondered about those myself

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog40 View Post
    Craig I question if I clean some crappie and keep the heads and rib cages can i use this for blue cat bait on a reservoir
    Blackdog40,

Legally caught legal sized sportfish CAN be used for bait and this also applies to their parts and pieces.

It would be preferable that you use the crappie for bait in the same waterbody in which you caught them to reduce risk of moving ANS from one body to another. Studies looking at transfer of zebra mussels in the gut of blue catfish have found that is possible for an adult zebra mussel to survive in the digestive tract of the blue catfish. Moving the blue catfish (or parts of the digestive tract after cleaning) could potentially move live zebra mussels. I have not seen any studies on this subject on any other fish besides the blue catfish. Again, using bait where it is caught is preferred. Freezing the "parts" intended for bait would kill any zebra mussels that may be present. Better to be safe, than sorry!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog40 View Post
    Another question if I catch some crappie under 10 inches at Pamona keep them and freeze them can I use them as blue cat bait on Melvern
    Blackdog40,

I don't believe you would want to have short crappie in your possession on a lake with a 10-inch minimum crappie length limit, frozen or not. This question would best be answered by the Conservation Officer that works Melvern Reservoir. You can reach him at (620) 450 - 7264.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank Craig your the best

Post Thanks / Like

Yes would only use them if frozen if caught in ANS water

Post Thanks / Like

Called the conservation Office he said you could get a ticket if you are caught with undersized fish frozen or not. Okay.