Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wading For Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wading For Crappie

Hey Yall, Anyone do any wading in the spring slabs?

SRM

Post Thanks / Like

I do...at a local area i like to go at in the spring/summer time.Quite fun...

Post Thanks / Like

I did when I was a kid. It was fun too, A little more distance from the shore made a big diffrence in catch fish too.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I used to but it's hard on a bad back to try to get around the buck brush and logs so now I just stay in my boat.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

we do a lot of wading in the Miss. Delta oxbow lakes when the crappie are spawning. these lakes are known for their shallow flats where the fish spawn. easier than trying to fish from a boat. the biggest problem is trying to drag your cooler around with your suds in it. haven't come up with a good way to do this. a tractor inner-tube works well, but is a pain to inflate on the lake bank. I'm not longwinded enough. the wading starts around the delta in about a month. come join me.

hawkman is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not just in the spring but all winter. Catch some of our biggest fish Jan. & Feb.
    Crappie fishing is my lighthouse of sanity in an insane world,
    It keeps me from crashing on the rocky shores of everyday life.
    Crappie.com is my beacon of light!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Willsjwills ? for you

Would you wade on a lake where they are quite a few gattors?

I am wanting to wade some this spring and need some help learning.
    Let's go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishing
    Would you wade on a lake where they are quite a few gattors?

I am wanting to wade some this spring and need some help learning.
    welllll' to be honest with you I've never encountered our toothy friend while wading. occasionally a cottonmouth, but no gators. the lakes i wade have a lot of standing cypress and knees that are some of the best cover nature provides for the fish. also it provides the fisherman with plenty of shade when the sun starts to work on the old body. I'll be down there in a couple weeks and if i'm lucky i'll take some pictures of a couple of my lakes to show you what my wading territory looks like.
    learning is easy. just put on a pair of tennis shoes, put your favorite jigs in a canvas bag with a strap that you can put around your neck and shoulder, grab your crappie pole and hit the water. it's good if you use a 12ft. pole so you can fish as far as possible from where you're standing. short poles aren't long enough to reach beyond the area that you've disturbed with your moving around. the longer poles require a little practice setting the hook by pulling sideways. otherwise you spend a lot of time getting un-hung from the limbs above you. Move slow with no sudden moves, if possible. I have spooked fish by stumbling or moving too fast. try to stay in water no deeper than 4ft. this makes it easier to make moves with minimal disturbance. two to three feet is ideal. hope this helps. lol john

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by willsjwills
    we do a lot of wading in the Miss. Delta oxbow lakes when the crappie are spawning. these lakes are known for their shallow flats where the fish spawn. easier than trying to fish from a boat. the biggest problem is trying to drag your cooler around with your suds in it. haven't come up with a good way to do this. a tractor inner-tube works well, but is a pain to inflate on the lake bank. I'm not longwinded enough. the wading starts around the delta in about a month. come join me.

Problem solved good buddy.. http://www.brandsonsale.com/floating...st&match=exact

Post Thanks / Like

I love to wade when the crappie are in the shallows. Catch lots of good fish. See lots of bad snakes.
    Jerry Hamon
    Van Alstyne, Texas
    http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/texascrappiefisherman/MSKFCPRES_zps568e5f40.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast