Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider rigging reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rigging reels

Looking to buy new reels what's everyone using
    If she only knew how much a fish cost me

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes ShilohRed LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

bait casters with thumb bars.......lots easier to get a fish in when fishing shallow with a long pole.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I use bait casters, The $25.00 ones from Grizzly jig. Work great. They have a new mini- caster with level wind, " important " that I want to try.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer baitcasters as well but also think it has more to do with what you are used too, used them all my life green carp feshing and never liked a spinning reel. I fish often with folks that have spinning reels and have no problem feshing with them. One thing I notice is storage, baitcasters seem to store tighter than the spinning reels, less room. The thumb bar on the baitcasters does make for easy adjusting and bringing a fish to the boat easy, landing a fesh is my biggest like of the baitcaster, fish alone a lot and rarely (like never) use a net when fishing alone no matter the size of the fesh.
    Best answer is to get with a couple of folks that use the type reels you are looking at and fish with them, hands on before you buy helps keep you from buying again real quick, good luck.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925
    Likes nixon LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of my buddies use spinning reels, like the Shimano IX 1000 series ... set the drag a little light and strip line off the reel to land fish when fishing shallow on long poles. It won't take but 30-45 seconds into this video to see what I mean : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qma07Wa8Yeo

When I started using long rods (14'), I had some baitcast reels that weren't being used ... so I put them on the rods. But, my 10' rods, which I sometimes use alongside my 14' rods, all have spinning reels on them. I've used both types of reels for so long that it doesn't phase me to grab one or the other and start fishing with it.

BUT .... if you think you will expand your methods to include using your spider rigging outfits for long line trolling, pushing/pulling crankbaits or jigs ... then you might consider line counter reels from the get go. Many of the crank pullers around here are using the Okuma Magda 15 or 20 series reels.

... cp
    Likes cause, jnalley LIKED above post