Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly stik elite

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ugly stik elite

I'm looking at an ugly stik elite ultra lite for casting jigs in the spring time. I love the durability of the the ugly sticks (I'm hard on my gear) but always found the rods to be too flimsy for my liking. The elite modal is suppose to have more graphite in it to make it a little more sensitive, anyone have any insight in to this rod, is it still flimsy or more stiff with added graphite? I'm pairing it with a pfluger president reel! Hoping for a good combo to catch some spring time slabs on the bank.
    Smile, it kills time between disasters!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Good Lord....for that price you can get a really good rod, like the B n' M SHSS in 7', 9', or 10' lengths. Never found these rods to be pansies either.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes sooners08, NJcrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Good Lord....for that price you can get a really good rod, like the B n' M SHSS in 7', 9', or 10' lengths. Never found these rods to be pansies either.
    I agree way better rods to be had in this price range
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I don't own any Ugly Stiks or BnM's, so I really don't have a dog in this fight.

I will say this, though: you will never see a thread on CDC titled "I Broke My Ugly Stik. Where Can I Get a Replacement Tip?"

If the guy's hard on gear, Mr. Ugly is a good choice.
    Likes Blackhawk19, fiveeyes LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use Ugly Stik's for all my line and bobber poles and have one small 5' jigging Ugly Stik. Not the Elite but Ugly Stik still and I like them all. Never break. Tough as nails. Land even the biggest fish when needed without breaking. I use 30' braid on all my Ugly Stik rods as well. Even the samll rod gets big stripers once in a while and the tough line helps.
    I will buy more as well...if ever needed...lol
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 01-12-2016 at 11:11 PM.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

If you're hard on your gear go ahead, but a full graphite rod will be a lot lighter and more sensitive.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought two of the GX2 in casting 6'6" medium heavy for catfishing about 4 months ago. They are not like the old models.Much faster action and stiffer,tip is much firmer than the old ones.All in all a good action and feel with backbone. I picked up a couple of the light action spinning ones at Wal-Mart the other day and tested them.They were GX2's and about 40 bucks I think. But I liked the action. I put the rod butt on the floor and up against my left foot to hold it,left hand just sorta keeps it from twisting and the right I grab the tip and flex it over. I have done this so many times over the years I can pretty much tell if I will like it,I have an eye for how the rod bends and the force required. I just can't hardly buy a rod unless I can do that to test it. I don't know about the elites but the GX2 seem to mimic other mid grade graphite rods now more than the old ones. I have not fished one on the water enough to tell you anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 25 year old bait casting rod its a medium action ugly stick.I use it for cat fishing. It has been through the ringer and still going strong.
    Biggest crappie to date is 3 lb 9 oz at grenada in 1988. Still hangs on my wall.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought an ugly stik gx2 ultralight combo at Walmart for about 40 dollars. I love the combo. I'm also a big fan of ugly stik. I still have one that's about 15 years old and it's still trucking and has never broke a tip or anything on it. I personally think their great rods at a decent price even though some people turn their nose down at them. Honestly tho it's not the rod it's the man behind it. Also the new rods are of an even better quality than the older ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast