Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kinda, sorta fishing related. Garage LED lights

M R Dux is online now Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Kinda, sorta fishing related. Garage LED lights

I am needing to replace my 21 year old florescent 8 foot light fixtures in my garage where I store my boat. There are currently 4 hard-wired fixtures and I'm lucky if one of them comes on at a time. I've changed ballasts and bulbs multiple times. I'm interested in the 4 foot LED fixtures to replace the 8 footers. I see 4 footers from 4000 lumens and up. How would the lighting from a 4500 lumen 4 foot fixture compare to my current useless lights? I have no issue wiring in boxes to replace the hard wire I have now.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Each 8' 75W bulb puts out between 4K to 5K Lumens each when new. This will degrade over time. So you would need one 4' fixture putting out 4K lumens each to replace each 8' bulb you have now to get approximately the same amount of light (if all the 8' bulbs came on). The long range cost is MUCH lower given the reduced energy use and the replacement costs of the fluorescent bulbs (not to mention of the pain in the patootie of getting 8' bulbs home - why I ditched mine).
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same issue with the original fixtures I hung. Some would not come on, some very slow. This was more of a cold issue. I did not realize they make different fixture and bulbs for different temperature ranges. Switched all 10 of my 4 ft fixtures to some that are rated for 0 degrees F. They cost about twice as much as the cheaper ones, but they come on every time now.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

I changed out several lights in the shop and on the outside of the house for
    LTE Super Bright, 20W , Outdoor LED Flood Lights, 1400 Lumen, 100W Halogen Bulb Equivalent ,https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XBN5QV6..._pZzKwb8J60SG3 they are very bright and the price is right.
    I've also had good luck with superbrightleds.com

A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it
    From an old movie I saw

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I just replaced a light fixture in my garage with a Led. It's about 12 in square and unbelievable how much brighter it is. Going to replace all those 8 fter's in shop with those you are talking about come spring. Like Clint said the cost savings on Bill will offset cost shortly, plus instant on and no burned out ballistic.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

M R Dux is online now Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I've installed LED strips in my last 2 boats and was very pleased with them. Clint and I talked about the LEDs after this post and I'm leaning very heavily toward getting a transformer to be able to hook up LED strips onto the fixtures I currently have. Very inexpensive alternative.
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

i recently installed 2 outdoor cage style oval lights on the back of my little house and i sure like them
    dont know much about them but they were cheap and work great .....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have automatic garage door openers? ??

Post Thanks / Like

To install the 4' LED light do I have to do anything other than connect the wires to a powered wire?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    Do you have automatic garage door openers? ??
    Yes, one is between two of the lights I'm replacing.

I am going to install 5 meter LED daylight white strips to my current fixtures and replace my ballasts with 120 volt to 12 volt transformers for the LED strips. It is going to set me back less than $20 per light replaced and take probably 20 minutes of my time per fixture.
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast