Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to know how you guy use fish finder in 2 locations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need to know how you guy use fish finder in 2 locations

Going to buy a helix 10 si going to mount transducer on the transom.but need to use unit on the dash and bow.how would you guy do it.was going to buy 2 units but don't have the money.next year I will try to get a 2nd unit to mount up front.have had a lot of bad luck so my funds is low.my daughter's baby died and my uncle and my wife's uncle died.then my dog got hit by a car that cost me 4,000.all this in 3 weeks time.my boat is a 17 foot smoker craft deep v.thank you guys for any suggestions you can give me.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished with one unit for the last 5-6 years. Had unit mounted on console where I could spin it around and see from front deck. Most times I would find structure while idling around with the big motor, drop a marker bouy and fish. I caught my fair share with that setup, but like you, I really wanted two units. And, like you, just couldn't justify dropping the hard earned cash that always seemed to be needed somewhere else.
    Then along comes the Helix lineup! Within the last 6 months, a lot of the HB owners have started bailing out in anticipation of the newer advanced units hitting the market. This has brought prices down on some awesome used units. I bought a used 899 from the CC classifieds and now have it on the console and my old unit on the front deck. Finally got to try it all out this past Wednesday and it was awesome.
    So.....be patient, you can catch plenty of fish with one unit; and prepare to pounce on a good deal when you can afford to!
    Good luck and God bless.
    TerryD
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Man sorry about all the bad luck. I have two units. One on my console with transducer on the transom that's low end for general navigation purposes and one set up whare I fish on the bow with transducer on the foot of my trolling motor so I can see what is under me as I fish. This is also an inexpensive unit but a little better than the other. Unit sophistication and expense is a matter of preference and budget. I'm a simple kind of guy not a pro but I fish water I'm familiar with or just fish new water to learn it. Sometimes you just have to look at the water, I know that sounds kinda dumb but the years I spent as a commercial fishermen taught me that water has a way of talking to you. Huh, I know that probably doesn't make sense but your time on the water will bring it to ya.
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Post Thanks / Like

Bought a 999 for the transom and a helix 5 sonar gps for use on my terrova last year. Used that setup and caught our limits all summer. Was a little small up front to glance at from the front seat 36 inches away, but it worked fine. I'd like a bigger screen to look at on the 5, but I'm not sure it would make any difference. I often wonder if throwing out a buoy to mark a pile spotted from the rear would work as good as no unit up front at all. If the helix 7 had been out at that time I would have probably just got a 7 si for the rear and a 5 or 7 sonar for the front, if even that. We are of course not pros, but simply frugal recreational fisherman family. 99% of our fishing time makes the 999 useless, and 3ft of the screen based off the tm depth from the surface is lost on screen from the 5.
    My advice for someone on a budget would be to go with the 7 at the transom, Mark your findings with a buoy and fish away.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.was going to mount on the dash with ram mount and just move to the front on a ram mount.or was going to put 2 power and brackets one on dash and one on bow but I don't know about always power on and off as I move it if this will give me a lot of problems doing that so much.was thanking about just going with helix 9 si at the dash and a helix 7 2d with gps on the front hooked up to my terrova us 2 in the trolling motor.what do you guys thank

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jim8861 View Post
    Thanks guys.was going to mount on the dash with ram mount and just move to the front on a ram mount.or was going to put 2 power and brackets one on dash and one on bow but I don't know about always power on and off as I move it if this will give me a lot of problems doing that so much.was thanking about just going with helix 9 si at the dash and a helix 7 2d with gps on the front hooked up to my terrova us 2 in the trolling motor.what do you guys thank
    That is the setup I would use.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use a ram mount on the unit on my console a just turn it around so I can see my mapping and speed, kind of a Pain to have to turn around all the time but I can't justify spending the money for more expensive units. You do what you can afford.
    Smile, it kills time between disasters!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jim8861 View Post
    Nice setup Jim,but you won't be able to network the Helix 7 to the Helix 9. Perhaps networking them isn't something you desire.

Post Thanks / Like

Would like to network thanks.might just buy one unit and make due till next year to get another unit.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 - 798's that I bought used and networked together. It didn't take me long to undo the network because it worked off of one antenna. I needed one up front so I knew where the waypoint was in front of me and not 18' behind me. I went back to 2 antenna's and I'm good with it. Having an SI up front comes in handy sometimes as I can turn the TM sideways and see what's there before I get to it. That said, I don't have to have it, a 2d and GPS would do me fine. DI would be a plus.

You're 7 and 9 setup would do very well but the funds would be a bit to deal with. Do what you can, when you can and it'll be awesome when complete. A friend of mine has a saying he uses a lot; Plan your work and work your plan. Nobody telling you it has to be done instantly. Knowing what is coming will help you get through the in between time.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes fishervet LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast