PDA

View Full Version : Add a GPS puck to Humminbird Unit

tigerinfielder3
01-07-2016, 10:50 AM
I have a helix 5 and a Humminbird 859.....both have internal gps however I have to get faster than Id like sometimes for it to show me the direction that I am heading other wise it just shows my boat on the screen as a small circle....this can be a problem for me when i am trying to follow contour lines or stay on way points....has anyone ever added an external gps to either of these units that already have internal gps and if so is it worth the money? what are the benefits that it has?

Greenwing
01-07-2016, 12:56 PM
I had the same problem with the external gps, bought the heading sensor gps and it fixes the low speed problem. The heading sensor gps works like a compass so your direction is always displayed.

tigerinfielder3
01-07-2016, 12:58 PM
I had the same problem with the external gps, bought the heading sensor gps and it fixes the low speed problem.

Thanks...did you mount it beside the trolling motor or back around the transom? Just wondering I need to mount close to the transducer and unit that it's being used at to help with accuracy

hotrodsrx
01-07-2016, 12:59 PM
You might want to look into a Heading Sensor GPS. Lots of info about it on this site and places like Youtube.

Greenwing
01-07-2016, 01:02 PM
Thanks...did you mount it beside the trolling motor or back around the transom? Just wondering I need to mount close to the transducer and unit that it's being used at to help with accuracy

I have mine mounted on the bow maybe 2 feet from the transducer, with it being magnetic you need to test the location for interference. Also let me add it's worth every penny for crappie fishing.

Greenwing
01-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Are planning on using the HS GPS with the 859? The Helix 5 doesn't support it.

tigerinfielder3
01-07-2016, 01:18 PM
With the 859

rnvinc
01-07-2016, 02:22 PM
It is possible to use the external antenna on the HELIX 5 and HELIX 7 ... But it's not a simple plug and plug Setup ...

http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Support/FAQ/HELIX_EXT_GPS/

If you're proficient with wire splicing ... Call HB for more info ... 1-800-633-1468

I have not tried this myself as of yet ...

Rickie

tigerinfielder3
01-07-2016, 02:58 PM
225380 is this the best one? And does this one fit the HB 859

tigerinfielder3
01-07-2016, 03:03 PM
I have mine mounted on the bow maybe 2 feet from the transducer, with it being magnetic you need to test the location for interference. Also let me add it's worth every penny for crappie fishing.

What does being magnetic have to do with anything? Will it work fine if I were to mount it up beside my trolling motor on the deck since I will be using it for my up front unit? Also I have an aluminum deck that's carpeted does that mater?

NIMROD
01-07-2016, 04:33 PM
What does being magnetic have to do with anything? Will it work fine if I were to mount it up beside my trolling motor on the deck since I will be using it for my up front unit? Also I have an aluminum deck that's carpeted does that mater?

Not sure but if heading sensor is magnetic compass the magnets in electric motors may cause it to read wrong .

rnvinc
01-07-2016, 11:00 PM
225380 is this the best one? And does this one fit the HB 859

Yes the AS GPS HS antenna will work with the 859 ...

Rickie

rnvinc
01-07-2016, 11:03 PM

http://youtu.be/0QrkiqF8xi8

Rickie

Greenwing
01-07-2016, 11:06 PM
Not sure but if heading sensor is magnetic compass the magnets in electric motors may cause it to read wrong .

Yes the heading sensor is a magnetic compass. I would test any location before drilling holes.

Greenwing
01-07-2016, 11:12 PM
Thanks Rickie.:ThumbsUp

tigerinfielder3
01-08-2016, 09:37 AM
thanks for the help....if I were to mount the puck back towards the back of the boat and ran the cable up to the front to where my unit is...when I mark a gps location and when I position my boat will the position be showing where the puck is or up front of the boat where the actual unit is?

"G"
01-08-2016, 10:34 AM
where the puck is

Gabepeeps
01-10-2016, 09:38 AM
I had one and sold it because I couldn't find a location on my boat close to the transducer to not get interference. Heading north but unit showed southwest.

Hanr3
01-10-2016, 10:31 PM
I watched Dougs video. umm, he is partially correct.

A magnetic compass picks up the magnetic field of the earth. Being close to magnetic fields obviously would be a problem, however in the video his electronics are off, hence NO electromagnetic fields are being created. His compass was reacting to the metal in the trolling motor, and the base plate of the head unit. I'll bet the third reaction was to a trolling motor battery under the deck. A battery always pushes an electromagnetic field when it is charged. If you have an aluminum boat, you may never find a spot to mount that HB compass. Buy a cheap compass and test it our before you spend the money.

Anybody that has been taught land navigation knows not to use a compass near metal. You will not get a true reading to magnetic north. Now lets talk about magnetic north. Its close to the north pole while in north america. However depending on where you live, it will be further from true north. Ever look at a magnetic north map. There are degrees of adjustment to compensate to achieve true north. I suppose the GPS signal will tell the unit its location and calculate the compensation factor in and give you a correct reading. GPS is not based on magnetic north, it is based on satellites circling overhead.

One last thing, in Dougs video he mentioned placing it on the front deck, below the gunwale. He will get horrible elevation readings. Elevation is typically read off a fixed tower in the location. The tower is a know height above the earth and that information is used to show your elevation. The satellites only show your location, not your elevation. Make sure your puck is mounted as high as possible so you can receive that tower information.