Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: StingRay Hydrofoil

Post Thanks / Like

Default StingRay Hydrofoil

I have a 30hp Tohatsu on my 648 War Eagle. Boat is rated for a 40hp, and seems under posered with the 30hp and my big butt on the back. Was reading about these Hydrofoils. Do they do what they say? I have issue with getting on plane, especially if me and another, plus gear in boat. Also, have issue with sight when slowing down, the bow stays up. What say ye?

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

They do work as advertised but there is no substitute for horsepower.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Clint LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Put one on my old boat. 16 alum with 40 hp. Made a big difference in getting on top and able to keep on plane at slower speed. Really lifted rear of boat. Not that it was a big deal on a boat like that but gained a couple mph.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Predator861 View Post
    I have a 30hp Tohatsu on my 648 War Eagle. Boat is rated for a 40hp, and seems under posered with the 30hp and my big butt on the back. Was reading about these Hydrofoils. Do they do what they say? I have issue with getting on plane, especially if me and another, plus gear in boat. Also, have issue with sight when slowing down, the bow stays up. What say ye?
    I've heard they work as advertised. I have the same boat with as you with a 25 four stroke, so it's probably worse than yours as far as planning out and keeping plane. What size ray were you looking at getting?

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I used 1 on 2 different 50 Merc's and they helped a lot.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

I took my old one off of my 40 rude and put in on my new 50 rude,

all I can say is they work good for me, my 50 is on a 17.5 ft deep vee grummin that is loaded full most time with gear and flab ( fat bodies lol I'm 265 lbs ) it helps a lot

all my buddies have one on their boats after seeing how mine helps my boat

I hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

this is all mine is and it works very good, of course though you will need to check size and fitting for your motor

http://cdn.overtons.com/product/080/...wnsize=450px:*

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they do work very well as some have already said... but my experience was with a 40 hp Nissan outboard pushing a sixteen ft. wide bodied Alumacraft jon. They work because they provide stability and even lift to the back end of the boat, which pulls the front end down quicker on accell and keeps it down longer on decell.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to take a look at the Dolphin Fin by Uncle Norms Marine Products. After checking out several kinds of fins I decided on the Dolphin. I liked the way it attached better. It is a very high quality material and the workmanship is good also. Have it installed and it looks very good. Have not been able to test it yet, need to wait for spring in Penna.!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zinger View Post
    You might want to take a look at the Dolphin Fin by Uncle Norms Marine Products. After checking out several kinds of fins I decided on the Dolphin. I liked the way it attached better. It is a very high quality material and the workmanship is good also. Have it installed and it looks very good. Have not been able to test it yet, need to wait for spring in Penna.!!!
    Was going to mention "Doel Fin". I've used one on every boat I've ever owned with the exception of my current boat. I don't need one on this boat.
    As everyone else said, it gets you up on plane quicker, a little more speed in most instances as well. I've always purchased Doel fin but do have experience installing a few others for some friends. Pound for pound, I like the install of the doel fin better than others. Yes you have to drill the cavitation plate, but she won't come off!

Other nice thing about them, it is a "one size fits all" application as it is two separate fins (one on each side of the plate).
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes rebranger, skeetbum LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast