Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for new line

Post Thanks / Like

Default looking for new line

I have always used 6lb Mr crappie mono line.and looking to try something new out. With all the new advancements in fishing line now a days its hard for me to pinpoint what line would be a good fit. Does anyone use florocarbon line for crappie fishing? What kinda line do you use? Any feedback suggestions advice appreciated. I'm not new to crappie fishing but its never too late to gain more knowledge about crappie fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

This past summer, I started using McCoy copolymer fishing line. It's better, in every way, than any other line I've used. In particular, there is very little memory (even in cold weather), much less than Trilene XL. It is, however, comparatively expensive to other premium brands.
    Likes chimneyman LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used a dozen or so different brands of mono over the years, and I'm currently using Vicious Panfish hi-viz 6# test copoly. Good stuff !!

Prior to that I was using the USA made version of Mr Crappie Super Hi-viz 4# test and Stren Gold 4# test. Both are good, strong lines for their respective diameter & pound test ... but, the Mr Crappie line is no longer made in the USA & I've read complaints (on here) that it's not as good as it used to be.

... cp
    Likes cause, wannabe fisherman, strmwalker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use Vicious hi vis from 1# to 10# as needed.. I use Vicious floracaebon to make my minnow rigs.. No more experimenting for me
    Likes cause, keith dodd LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You need to have an idea what you would want to try first...you will get MANY different opinions of what is best to use to catch Crappie!

The many options include cheap OLDER styles of Mono, Fluorocarbon, or Braid/Superlines.
    Mid-Priced NEWER styles of Mono, Fluoro, or Braid.
    And NEW higher priced styles of Mono, Fluoro, or Braid.

I prefer Seaguar Smackdown Tourney Braid...I feel for the way I fish that it has ZERO drawbacks and all the benefits.
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Trout Magnet SOS is a great co-polymer at a great price....if you are looking for nylon line. It comes in 2...4....and 6# test. A very manageable line....easy casting. The 2# test would most likely test out at 4# test. So I am sure that the 4 and 6# test will test out higher also. I wish lines made for US market would test out at what the line rating is but seems all companies rate them lower than they test. I fish with fluorocarbon straight through on one rod. It is 3# test Toray Razor out of Japan. It is a premium line but even at that you have to be careful when casting. The key in using fluro...IMHO....is to make sure the weight of the lure is enough to bring the line off the spool.....I can't cast a 1/64 ounce jig head with fluro.....it will become a birds nest. I also have one rod setup using 2# test NanoFil with a 2# test fluro leader. It is my go to setup for crappie and Gills. I have had a lot of success with it. These are my experiences fishing those lines casting.....don't do much vertical jigging.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Anything but braided line I would try.looking for a good line that will cast smooth with minimal memory. With some abrasion resistance
    Likes Dollfly LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishbrain View Post
    Anything but braided line I would try.looking for a good line that will cast smooth with minimal memory. With some abrasion resistance
    I regularly land 2-5 pound Smallies on the SOS 2# test. I can cast a 1/64 ounce jig with it......works great in cold or hot weather....no memory. Use the line on Center Hill Lake...nothing but rock there....abrasion resistance is very good. For the money it is hard to beat......I also use some mono lines out of Japan and Europe that are great lines....but costly.

Regards

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishbrain View Post
    Cabelas Pro Line high vis yellow mono is all I use now
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

my vote is the 6# Vicious
    Likes strmwalker LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast