Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good rod

Post Thanks / Like

Default A good rod

for bobber fishing with a bobber stop knot?

it seems all the rods I'm seeing nowadays have micro guides,

I'm looking for something about 6' to 6'6", 50$ to 80$ range

as always thank you all

Post Thanks / Like

Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Might want to look at Trout/crappie Magnet.com Rod's) Jeff has a video on the rod's he builds and sells just for float and fly or float and jig fishing. They have a video using these rod's.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.
    Likes NJcrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

X3 on the bps micro lite. I like the 7ft 6in model. I have 2, I keep one rigged with a slip bobber and one for cast & retrieve. When they go on sale you can get 2 for $80. They are very good tight line rods also.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I wouldn't want a slip float rod to be less than 7' long. Reason being, I want the length to allow me to pick up as much slack as possible on the hookset, from a distance. I also wouldn't want a very whippy rod, or even one with slow action (parabolic bend), because I want the force of the hookset to be transmitted from the rod to the fish as instantaneously as possible and past the slack line between the rod tip and float & the float and bait.

When it comes to slip float use ... I usually break out my 8' BnM/Duckworth FnF rod, or either one of my 10' rods (BnM Sam Heaton Super Sensitve or Todd Huckabee Dippin rod), depending on whether or not I'm holding them in hand (FnF) or using a rod holder (SHSS or THDR).

And yes, micro guides/tip are the main reason I don't use my 9' ESP PowerJig rod for slip float use

... cp
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the duck commander 11ft jig pole for slip cork fishing. 95% of our crappie fishing is done with a slip bobber, and this rod is by far my favorite for this technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Float Rod

I totally agree with CrappiePappy above. I wouldn't go any shorter than 8' and it's hard to beat the quality and sensitivity of B n' M rods.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

first off thank you all for your input on this topic

the only reason for the pole to be 6' or 6'6" would be for accurate casting to stick ups and the like, and unless I'm mistaken a shorter rod is more accurate for this use

if I'm wrong someone please set me straight, I have looked at these rods you folks have listed, I want one of each lol

again thank you all

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm....I do a lot of casting and have used from 6'6" through 9' rods. I have not personally noticed any difference in casting accuracy, regardless of which one I am using. Assuming the pros are correct, then yes, a shorter rod should be more accurate; but, I believe, that depends on who's doing casting. I do find that I get greater distances with the longer rods, for whatever that's worth.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast