Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new rod advice and suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default new rod advice and suggestions

Ok guys I'm in the market for new rods that suit my application and comfort. I cast jigs 80 percent of the time. I like ultra light one piece rods that are 5'6 to 6'6 in length. From what i have read I would want a one piece rod. If anyone has any suggestions or advice any input is welcome. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Budget?

Post Thanks / Like

I do a lot of casting jigs as well. From 1/64 - 1/8 oz. sizes. I have been using the B n' M Sam's Supersensitive (SHSS) in 7' length (2-pc rod) for several years now and I would not go back to a shorter rod for this purpose. JMO mind you....and it depends on what you like. I have taken a lot of crappie, yellow perch, bluegills and bass on this rod, so I'm a firm believer in it's capabilities. I really believe that if you try one of these rods out, you will be impressed. Going for about $50.00 these days. You did not mention your budget either? There are many less expensive rods and some quite a bit more expensive too. Good luck!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not looking for a cheapie. But not high end either. Somewhere between 40 and 80 would be a good range

Post Thanks / Like

I had been looking into the st Croix triumph rod. Anyone got opinions on that particular rod

Post Thanks / Like

I have two St. Croix Medium Light rods that are 7'0". I too cast about 80% of the time and cast 1/16 to 1/8 oz jigs most times. I used to use a lighter powder but have settled on the medium light seven footer. Cost wise I am not sure because I build my own rods.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a Gander Mountain near you stop in and see if they have any of their Vortex series left in ultra light. Very nice stick and clearence priced at $19.99 from $59.99. I see they are sold out on line but our local store still has a few left.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use medium priced rods- $40 each. Then stepped up to the St. Croix Premier series. I have two 6'6" Ultra lights- fast action that work excellent. I also prefer single piece rods. I think they transfer feel through the rod better. Your going to pay about 50% more than your budget, but its worth it. Check them out at your favorite fishing store. Their action is unbelievable.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes Gobob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I'm currently fishing with is the vortex. For the money I don't think you can beat it

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a ESP PowerLite 6'6" rod for most of my jig casting.

Features : ESP™ Rod Features | ESP™ High Performance Ultra Light Rods by Norsemen Outdoors (specs and their line of rods can also be seen on this link)

I'd purchase one from Grizzly Jigs, since they're cheaper there than the main retail website.

I was a field tester for ESP's designer ... and changed from using a 7' Sam Heaton Sig Series rod to the 6'6" ESP ... mostly for the very fast action tip, and greater sensitivity. The Tenn style handle also allows me to balance the outfit with different size/weight reels, should I decide or need to change reels.

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast