Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using power pro line

Post Thanks / Like

Default using power pro line

I caught some small crappie yesterday using a drop shot rig. I finally got to experience the sensation of one of those lite cold water bites. To increase my chances of hooking up more often, I am going to try using Power Pro line on my next outing.
    I used Power Pro years ago in salt water, fishing for flounder. I loved the increased sensitivity but I also remember missing a lot of fish when setting the hook. A result of the no stretch characteristic of the line. I am aware that a mono or fluorocarbon leader can be added to compensate for this.
    If anybody uses Power Pro, or similar line, and has a suggestion or recommendation, I would appreciate hearing from them.
    THANKS!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lad View Post
    I caught some small crappie yesterday using a drop shot rig. I finally got to experience the sensation of one of those lite cold water bites. To increase my chances of hooking up more often, I am going to try using Power Pro line on my next outing.
    I used Power Pro years ago in salt water, fishing for flounder. I loved the increased sensitivity but I also remember missing a lot of fish when setting the hook. A result of the no stretch characteristic of the line. I am aware that a mono or fluorocarbon leader can be added to compensate for this.
    If anybody uses Power Pro, or similar line, and has a suggestion or recommendation, I would appreciate hearing from them.
    THANKS!
    My recommendations would be to loosen the drag just a skootch, and don't set the hook as hard as you would with mono. I'd also recommend having something other than your hand or rod handle to wrap the braid around, to pull a snagged hook free. Braid will cut you and cork/foam handles quite easily. I also recommend using a pair of Child Size Fiskar Scissors for cutting braid, as it gives a clean, blunt tag end cut that is much easier to put through a hook eye, than a ragged tag end.

... cp
    Likes Crestliner08, short grub LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10/2 high vis yellow with no leader and love it, I've been using it for about 15 years now

Likes Bigslab11 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Found the same problem with braid - even on light action rods, the lack of stretch allows a fish to pull the hook out when panic sets in. It also doesn't seem to cast light lures (1/32) as far as mono.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    My recommendations would be to loosen the drag just a skootch, and don't set the hook as hard as you would with mono. I'd also recommend having something other than your hand or rod handle to wrap the braid around, to pull a snagged hook free. Braid will cut you and cork/foam handles quite easily. I also recommend using a pair of Child Size Fiskar Scissors for cutting braid, as it gives a clean, blunt tag end cut that is much easier to put through a hook eye, than a ragged tag end.

... cp
    Agreed...

Also, if you are hook setting "For Show like a Pro" with Braid, you are just pulling the hook out of a "Paper Mouth"!
    Most of the time tension is all that is required, or a flick of the wrist!
    Most good Braid has NO stretch, Fluorocarbon has a Little stretch, and Mono Stretches! Once you adjust your hook-set, you'll be fine!

Braid like anything else, has different grades of Material, Quality, and price...the cheaper brands are normally older technology, use lower quality material, have less strands per braid, not as tightly braided, use heavy coatings to make the line stiff and manageable, are being copied and produced in China and sold as the real thing, and have more issues than the high end stuff!
    You should be able to get many seasons out of a good braid, so that lessens the cost even more!

Good Fishing!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't require much of a hookset at all, just a good lift. Also have your drag loose...you can always tighten it but you can't loosen it after you lose the fish... Moving to a good sharp hook can help. I am really liking Fireline Crystal personally.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default PowerPro

I used PowerPro for about 3 season on 2 of my drop shot rigs. I didn't like it, because of the "noise" it makes when retrieving fish, especially powerful fish like big smallmouth bass.

Before using the PowerPro, I had been using Fireline and never experienced the same noise. Reason being is that PowerPro is a braid and Fireline is a fused line. They are both very strong. I changed to PowerPro believing that I needed the extra strength (10/2) for the bass we were targeting. Wrong! After switching back to Fireline (Crystal) in 6# test, for my main line, I experienced none of the noise and have never had the line fail me, even with 4 & 5 lb. smallies coming out of 35' of water. So I know it works.

Whichever line you choose, make sure to use a 4' fluorocarbon leader however. It's less visible and does have some stretch, which acts like a shock absorber. The abrasion resistance of fluorocarbon is far superior to monofilament as well. NOTE: You do not need to "set" the hook when drop shotting either. Mearly raise your rod tip a bit as you start to reel will do the trick. You'll nail 'em with no problems doing it this way. And your sensitivity to light bites will increase dramatically.

One final thought; try the Gamakatsu Drop Shot hook in size #2. Works just as well on crappie as it does on smallmouth bass. The reason this hook excels in this presentation is that the point of the hook is straight, not curved inward, like a beak. This forces the point deep into flesh as opposed to going in and coming back out again. Very important with papermouths.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

make sure to use a 4' fluorocarbon leader however. It's less visible and does have some stretch, which acts like a shock absorber. The abrasion resistance of fluorocarbon is far superior to monofilament as well.
    Agree with all of it except Fireline. The material that hold the fibers together starts to shed after awhile making me wonder if the test is weaker and less friction-less going through the guides. Stopped using the original Fireline years ago. Maybe Crystal Fireline is better. Stealth braid is still one of my favorites.

Post Thanks / Like

4# solar orginal Fireline. Been using it for 20 years now for crappie fishing and have not found a better product for this purpose. I also do not use any leader material for crappie. For bluegill and bass I do though.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm I think I'll try some on my jig poles, how about dock shooting braid or not
    Crappie Attitude
    US NAVY Veteran
    Find Them Grind Them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast