Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: My fathers pond

Post Thanks / Like

Default My fathers pond

Was able to make the 5 hour trip north from Maryland to visit my father and fish his 5 acre pond for the first time in over a decade. The pond was originally managed as a bass and bluegill pond but by the time I had moved away and stopped attempting to control them the bluegill were over populated and stunted. I had started catchin crappie in other ponds and before i heard it was frowned upon I took it upon myself to lug 40 adult crappie from another small pond 40 miles away and dumped them into his pond. This was 20 years ago.

The last time I had fished the pond was 10 years after my bucket biologist days. On that trip i had no luck catching crappie and figured they had just died off. Fast forward to this trip and I was surprised to catch quite a few in a couple of hours. After 2 hours of fishing i had 20 crappie, a perch and a largemouth bass. The crappie were small but ill bet there were bigger fish in the deepest (18 foot deep) basin, unfortunately i couldnt reach that spot from shore. Its amazing what 40 fish can accomplish in a small pond in 20 years. There is still and always has been a healthy bass population in this pond with fish up to 5+ pounds. Hopefully those bass will work to keep the crappie in check. Other than a bit of guilt over the stocking as of now im excited, its funny to catch a fish that is a direct decendant of fish that I caught and transferred 20 years earlier. Here is a video I made of me catching some of those fish Fishing Alpine Pool - YouTube
    Likes sooners08, shipahoy41, "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

very nice Zippy, thanks for sharing

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing Zippy. Stay blessed.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty place. Thanks for sharing.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around