Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Dodging the storms

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dodging the storms

As I sat at home contemplating whether to go fishing or stay at home and go nuts watching television, the urge to go fishing took over and I loaded my boat on my truck. I loaded a box of red worms and my rain gear too. I retied my jig poles with slip corks and long shanked bream hooks. I went ahead and bent the barbs down to make it easier to release small fish or toss the anticipated keepers in the live well.

The sky was grey with low clouds and there was a stiff breeze blowing the through the trees. I got to the boat ramp and to no surprise I was the only person fishing today. The water was rough with white caps rolling across it.

With my boat launched I turned on my electronics and went into search mode. This time I was looking for blue gills and not crappie. I started scanning and found fish but they were too large and strung out to be bream so I searched on. I came across a nice ledge that had some structure to it and noticed the smaller signatures of what I thought might be bream.

I deployed my terrova and set it to anchor mode while I gathered up my gear and turned my front depth finder on. With my hook baited I started pitching up and down the ledge. Some smaller fish would take the worm and it wasn't long before I was catching and releasing them. I didn't stay in the place too long if small fish were caught. I would ease on down the ledge into the wind and wait for the next fish to plunge my cork down into the murky depths. The fish we very aggressive when they bit and stacked up like cord wood. If I caught a nice gill I threw a bouy out to the side to mark the spot as the wind was ferocious and would blow me off the spot very quickly. I was catching fish as fast as I could get my worm down to them. The big rain moved all around me but never dropped from the sky until I had my limit of bream. On my last keeper bream the rain started to move in to my area. What a great day to a great holiday week. I am blessed to have a great family that loves to share the outdoors with me. Remember family is more important now days as friends come and go. Cherish the time you can spend with your loved ones. They grow up quicker than you can imagine.

Likes "G", chaunc, short grub, Hanr3, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Awsum report and pics....thanks for shareing
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice post ABH!!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice batch of gills
    Likes Luvfatslabs LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Nice live well full of fish.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

You picked a great day to be on the water. Wishing I was fishing.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice box of Bream . congrats .

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a day loaded with fun!

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

bunch of cleaning
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a great bunch of fish JW. Glad I'm not the only one who gets that urge that will NOT be denied.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around