HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Casting rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Casting rods

I am wanting to purchase a 7ft casting rod for jig fishing. What do you guys use and which brand would you recommend?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G4bama View Post
    I am wanting to purchase a 7ft casting rod for jig fishing. What do you guys use and which brand would you recommend?
    Depends on what tip action you want the rod to have, what your budget is, whether you want a Tenn style handle or fixed reel seat handle, IM6 or IM7 graphite blank, what type guides you want on it, and so on ....

Personally speaking, I use a 6'6" ESP PowerLite rod ( Power Lite rods | Shop | ESP™ High Performance Ultra Light Rods by Norsemen Outdoors ) for my jig casting & dock shooting methods. Graphite Tenn style handle with graphite slip rings, alum oxide stripper guide & tip eye with chromium micro guides in between, very fast action tip, and the blank runs through the handle & has metallic disks around the blank that touches the inside of the handle (to transmit the lightest vibration right to your hand). Very light weight & very sensitive, with good backbone. The 6'6" & 7' models of this rod have the extended handle (as shown in the link above).

I field tested for ESP's designer & chose the 6'6" model because I already had a couple of 7' rods that I was using for jig casting. The main 7' rod was the Sam Heaton Signature Series, which I replaced with the 6'6" ESP as my primary jig casting rod. The biggest reason was the Sam Heaton has a slow action/parabolic bend that was a bit too soft action for my taste, after experiencing the ESP rod. I now use the Sam Heaton as a "tightline" rod (hook/sinker/minnow rig, fished straight down).

I believe Grizzly Jigs offers the best price, but you'd need a catalog or call them to confirm since they don't show the ESP rods in stock on their website. I don't believe there are any retail outlets in Ala. that carry the ESP line, at least not according to the Norsemen Outdoors website search feature.

The Sam Heaton 7' rod (now called the SH Super Sensitive) is a BnM product. BnM & Grizzly Jigs carry the 7' model.

... cp
    Likes Alphahawk LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

X2 what CrappiePappy said.....ESP rods are a great casting rod.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

I would go to a place with a good selection (like Bass Pro or Cabela's) and handle some rods. At my local BP, I could point out in fifteen minutes at least a dozen different rods that would be perfect for you. Since tackle selection is at least 98% personal preference, my choices wouldn't necessarily suit you, though.

Go check 'em out! There should be some good "post Christmas" sales going on.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to grizzly jig store, if possible..has a room full of about any rod you can want

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a couple of Shakespeare micro graphite 7' rods with a lite action that do real well for me. Less than $20 do lots of different techniques very well.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes sooners08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have multiple St Croixs that I cast with..... Very fond of them all..... Defiantly consider and look at the St Croix rods..... Deathb4disco offered some great advice

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've had Sam heaton rods 7 ft.but at grizzly I got the Wally Marshall 7 ft rod from Lews and I love it.
    Thanks jascott765 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information. I use a Berkley 6'6" Medium Cherrywood now that I like. I was just curious as to what others uses

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use the same Berkley's. Now I use the St. Croix Premier series rods, made in the USA in northern Wisconsin, Park Falls. I paid about $100-$120 each. Huge difference in quality and action compared to the Berkley's. The handles are much smaller and make handling the rod easier, plus the rod is lighter. Makes for a pleasant day of casting.

I prefer the 6'6" Premier Spinning series rods; single piece, ultra light, fast action, model PS66ULF and 7' Premier Spinning series rods; single piece medium light, fast action, model PS70MLF. The 6'6" are 2-6 pound line, 1/32-3/32 ounce lure and the 7' is 4-10 pound line, 1/8-1/2 ounce lure. I use Shimano Sedona model SE1000FE on the 6'6" rods and Shimano Sahara model SH2500FE on the 7' rods. Sedona's spooled with 4 pound mono and the Sahara's spooled with 6 pound mono.

No idea how far I can cast them. With a practice plug in the back yard I can underhand flip cast the 6'6" set-up about 100 yards. Typically I use the 6'6" rods for slip bobber crappie fishing and the 7' for walleye fishing.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!