PDA

View Full Version : Filleting question.

GRIZZ
01-22-2007, 05:04 PM
I've noticed here in some posts and out at my lake that when some fillet panfish they just cut the ribcage right off in the fillet. Its seems easier and faster than the way I do it. I've always filleted the meat from the ribcage and left the ribs on the fish. How many of you cut the ribs and do you just leave the ribs in the fillets to cook?

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=31679

slabinator
01-22-2007, 05:08 PM
I cut the filet off the ribs and leave the ribs on the fish carcass. It takes a few seconds longer but it makes less of a mess to leave the guts undisturbed and my family really loves the boneless filets.

FishnLine
01-22-2007, 05:22 PM
I filet it off the fish and then cut the rib cage out.

eat,sleep,fish
01-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Grizz,
I am one of those that cut the ribs and the meat off together. Once you have the piece of meat with the ribs in it, I take a fillet knife and cut around the ribs and that leaves you with just the fillet. It takes about two seconds to cut the ribs out! I usually cut all of the fillets with the ribs in them and then go back and cut out all of the ribs. :D

LOZcrappie
01-22-2007, 05:43 PM
I use an electric carving knife (el cheapo Black & Decker from Walmart) and do it the same way as eat,sleep,fish describes. Easy, quick and guaranteed boneless for the kids.

newlite
01-22-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm with eat sleep and fish.I 'v been doing it just like that for a long time.
Electric knife,then a sharp filet knife for the rib cage.Now for catfish I go over
the ribs and leave them on the fish.I'v riuned some good blades trying to go through big catfish ribs.Is there a good way to sharpen electric knife blades??
Thanks and good luck.

siscoken
01-22-2007, 06:53 PM
Crappies I leave the ribcage on the carcass
Walleyes the ribs are removed after the fillets are off the carcass
Ken

Speck
01-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Grizz, if I'm using an electric knife, we just form an assembly line. I'll cut the fillets off and the next guy down takes the ribs out. If I'm using a standard fillet knife, I'll fillet around the ribs like you.

Jerry Blake
01-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Hey GRIZZ:

When I used to use a regular fillet knife I left the ribcage on the carcass but when I started using an electric fillet knife I started cutting through the ribs following the spine. After I cut the skin off but while the fillet is still laying on the skin I cut the ribcage out with the tip of the electric knife blade by angling in behind the ribs so as not to waste any meat. I make two cuts - one on the top side of the ribcage and one on the bottom - starting where the back of the ribcage comes to a point and cutting forward. By keeping the fillet laying on the skin the knife cuts through the fillet better and the skin protects the knife from dulling on the board and protects my fillet board from the knife.

As far as sharpening electric fillet knife blades I've not heard of a method that works well. Usually by the time my blades start getting dull the pin/rivet that holds the tip of the blades together has worn to the point that it leaves too big of a space between the blades so it's time for new blades anyway, which are less than 6 bux at Walmart.

Songdog
01-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Get a round file that fits the tooth just like you'd file the gullet of a saw just lay it in with the angle and rake of the tooth doesn't take much and it'll be sharp

catchin30
01-22-2007, 09:54 PM
I use an electric knife, and cut straight across the fish. I then take scissors and cut out the rib cage. Beside the eye of the fish a good chunk of meat is left and I cut it out also. call'em crappie nuggets, they are good

slabbandit
01-22-2007, 10:27 PM
We use a cheap elec. fillet knife from Wal-Mart. One of us will fillet while the other one will "rib" with a paring knife. If you have one of the elec. knives with the cutting tips on the end of the blades you can also rib with them.

I've also learned that it is very beneficial to teach your partner how to use the elec.knife;) ....The only down side to that is sometimes I get home and my boat is gone!:(

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/slabbandit/May2706catch.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/slabbandit/DebraFilleting.jpg

Chartboy
01-22-2007, 10:29 PM
I fillet the fish and rib cage with an electric knife and then cut the ribs off the fillet. I try to leave the small strip above the ribs.

jlaughlin72
01-23-2007, 12:21 AM
I use an electric knife also and cut through the ribs, then afterwards use a filet knife to cut the ribs out.
As for sharpening electric filet knife blades, I have never done it, seems like too much trouble for what it costs to replace them. But if I was to try and sharpen them, I would use a Dremel tool with a small stone bit on it and try to keep the same angle that the factory had on them.

Minnerman
01-23-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm with eat sleep and fish.I 'v been doing it just like that for a long time.
Electric knife,then a sharp filet knife for the rib cage.Now for catfish I go over
the ribs and leave them on the fish.I'v riuned some good blades trying to go through big catfish ribs.Is there a good way to sharpen electric knife blades??
Thanks and good luck.

Use a flat honing stone and sharpen the flat side of the blades. This will bring the edge back to the serrogated edge.

GRIZZ
01-23-2007, 12:44 AM
Thanks everyone. Thats good info. I was especially interested in how the guides who have to do it every day get it done quick.

Slabbandit, that a sweet cleaning station you have there. Is that your own?

bobberdown
01-23-2007, 09:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqCoph-C6Jo
Above is a link to a instruction video that was posted here a few months ago.

slabsrus
01-23-2007, 09:39 AM
I leave the ribs on the fish. I have found that for me it is just as quick.

TapOut64
01-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Having just recently switched to an electric knife it opened my eyes to how soon the crappie start to develop their eggs and I keep finding very large (as big as 4.5"-5") minnows in 13" crappies stomach. So, though more messy, I've learned more about the crappie.

fingerlicken
01-23-2007, 10:22 AM
I always cut the ribs with meat, and cut the ribs out later. Its faster for me that way but ,I also use an electric knife and it makes things faster.

skiptomylu
01-23-2007, 11:04 AM
I've noticed here in some posts and out at my lake that when some fillet panfish they just cut the ribcage right off in the fillet. Its seems easier and faster than the way I do it. I've always filleted the meat from the ribcage and left the ribs on the fish. How many of you cut the ribs and do you just leave the ribs in the fillets to cook?

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=31679

I cut the entire thing off and have been doing it like that since about 1970ish.

After that my wife makes me cut the rib out too so when I say fillet it's 100% meat. It makes it safe for the kids too that way though and no need to worry about not getting all the bones out when the grand kids are in house.

The only time I do it different is if I keep bream smaller than I would usually which is very seldom. I usually only keep bream that are big enough to fillet them too.

I also use an electric knife.

ceb
01-23-2007, 11:22 AM
The post referenced in Grizz's first post was my first attempt at using the electric knife. I knew that the majority of folks around here use the electric, but I was always hesitant to buy one and try. I grew up using a fillet knife, and loved it. Cleaning crappie the next day was sort of extra bonding time with my dad, and therefore, I always enjoyed cleaning fish just because of being outside free from it all for an extra couple of hours.

I ordered an electric knife from santa for Christmas. On my first experience with using it, I was amazed at how much more simple, clean, and efficient it was over the manual method. I'm more than sure that I will still break out the manual on occasion, but the electric has already proved itself.

Steve (Bamafan) from the LA board had a good suggestion for the ribs...save up a bunch of them and fry them up. He said that he takes them to the guys at work and they have an absolute field-day. I will definitely be tring this one out. It's probably a good idea to save these morsels just for the guys, because I know the girls and kids in my family wouldn't really appreciate them...

Without a doubt, I recommend anyone using the old fillet knife to upgrage to the electric.

hogfaninla
01-23-2007, 06:01 PM
My dad (LeeRoy) could fillet 2 to my 1 and he would leave the ribs on the fish and i would take the ribs and cut them off the fillet...I would have to sharpen my knife twice as much as he would...I try to do it the way he did but dang electric knives make a lazy mans day...

slabbandit
01-24-2007, 03:31 AM
No Grizz it's not. The C.O.E. built them at all the parks here on Nimrod. They are covered with lights and concrete floors. They also have two water hoses with spray nozzles and the center is a disposal grinder to get rid of the "rines":)

I don't know but I heard somewhere where they cost about 16,000 dollars apiece to build.

NIMROD
01-24-2007, 12:58 PM
No Grizz it's not. The C.O.E. built them at all the parks here on Nimrod. They are covered with lights and concrete floors. They also have two water hoses with spray nozzles and the center is a disposal grinder to get rid of the "rines":)

I don't know but I heard somewhere where they cost about 16,000 dollars apiece to build.
That's cause they use 1000 dollar hammers the goverment is famous for purchsing. ha!ha!:rolleyes:

DRPEPPER
01-24-2007, 01:19 PM
That's cause they use 1000 dollar hammers the goverment is famous for purchsing. ha!ha!:rolleyes:

I undertand the nails are around $1.50 each too.
But, they sure are nice. Quachita has cleaning stations that are simular. It sure is nice to clean the fish before the hour or longer drive home.
DP

NIMROD
01-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Yea it's nice when you live right down the road too ! Saves having to dispose of waste and running up our water bill. I fish several times a week in good weather and use the ones at Nimrod often.:D

bowdenja
01-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Anybody tried the new Rapala cordless fillet knife............. I got lucky and won one at a tournament and I tell you it is really nice. Just gotta remember to charge up the batteries.

A little on the expensive side but if you use it a lot it will more than pay for itself.

john

GRIZZ
01-24-2007, 03:42 PM

16K Holy smokes!

dockfishin
01-24-2007, 03:48 PM
I always cut the fillet and ribs off together on panfish/perch. Then I remove the skin and ribs. Easiest with an electric knife. Works great for me.