Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mealworms, buy local or online?

Post Thanks / Like

Default mealworms, buy local or online?

where? You may not be local to Charlotte NC, but most towns are similar. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on how many I need. If it's just for one day of fishing, I buy local. If not, I order a bunch.

Post Thanks / Like

buy a bunch online? have a link? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    It depends on how many I need. If it's just for one day of fishing, I buy local. If not, I order a bunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, my local pet store (Petco) has a better bait selection than my local bait shop.
    Likes SeaRay, canebreaker, mikeski LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Raising mealworms is much easier,and far cheaper than raising kids !.All kidding aside,I've been raising my own mealworms for 5 years,they all but take care of themselves,I have live bait year round,and cost next to nothing
    Likes "G", gone_fishing LIKED above post

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok sounds awesome tell us how. .?

Post Thanks / Like

Several ways work,mine works for me.I use a clear lidded 10 gallon tote,but smaller or larger works also.I purchased a 50lb bag of bran from a farmers market,( will last for several years ),I add about 3" of bran to cover the bottom of the tote.I also use a medium potato sliced in half for the mealworms to consume,and for moisture.
    A friend donated some refugee mealworms,in various stages to me ( DO NOT BUY,JUMBO MEALWORMS) They are basically a hybrid,having been dosed with a growth additive.Ordering a 1000 will give you a very good parent stock to begin you farm.Place the mealworms directly into your bedding mix,drill some tiny holes in the lid for air,keep some potatoes,or baby carrots in with them,and close the lid.
    Mealworms beetles lay several hundred eggs in the bedding each day, ( mealworms morf into darkling beetles ,lay eggs for a week or so,then die )the eggs and baby mealworms are nearly invisible,but don't be discouraged,they will be there and in great numbers.Keep your tote in a warm location,preferably in the dark for greater procreation.
    Once your farm is producing,,place a hundred or so worms in some bran in a small container with air holes and refridgerate,for a month,then place them back in the parent box,this will slow down the morphing,allowing for a continuous supply of worm year round.
    I know this is only one way of raising them,go to U - tube for other ,just as successful ways.I feed mine a new potato when the old is basically gone,I refresh the bran when it becomes less grainy,( the consume it and pass it also.Good luck,it's very simple once you start ,I had less instruction than I just gave ,and I did it.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I threw meal worms in a bucket with some bran. After I ran out of bran I threw whatever I had. Old cereal, corn meal, flour, an ear of field corn etc. They aren't picky.
    Likes canebreaker LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast