Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day one winter 2015 was a superb outing ......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Day one winter 2015 was a superb outing ......

I have to say it was one of the most beautiful mornings i have been out in a while . The first day of winter and i was the ONLY boat on the lake at 7 30 am . i was a bit spooked by the total lack of humans at one of the busiest boat ramps in DFW !YES i went solo ....couldnt get me a boat passenger ,so I readied the rig and looked at the flood line debris up on the courtesy dock and ramp and thought oh my this may not go well . A quick glance out on the water eased my thoughts thought because the lake was alive with surface activity !
    I motored off the ramp to one of my bamboo piles under the bridge . It was loaded up with fish and i was like a kid in a candy store . first drop to the bottom in 17 foot of water and KABOOM ...fish on ....up comes an garden variety white crappie ! shortly after that things began to get difficult . lots of thumps and couldnt hook one ? they finally quit and i thought time to move on . next stop didnt go well and i managed one tiny white crappie . so off to spot 3 in a lil bit of a hurry , i was playing hookee from work ya know and had to get there by lunch time ...LOL ....
    stop 3 was flat out FULL of big fish on the brush piles in 13 foot of water . got only one lil peck and up comes a tiny black bass ? so on to spot 4 and once again LOADED up and never got even one peck ? Well by this point i am a bit worried i picked the wrong something ...day time bait lake or whatever LOL.
    down the lake i went to try under the bridge one more time . as i say there i could see off in the distance a tornado of birds hitting the water and thought to myself .....that aint crappie under them birds ...but after about 5 minutes of watching it and NOT getting bit by anything i headed over to check it out . the water temp was 52 and the surface was full of birds and dead shad and the graph was lit up like a christmas tree i tell ya !
    i tried and tried to get bit and couldnt get a peck . i even got desperate and grabbed a handfull of shad off the surface and put them on bare jigs and STILL couldnt get bit ? so off i went again back to my bamboo pile under the bridge to drop them shad on em . rod goes down and channel cat . darn the luck ...i re position and get WHACKED on my jig and up comes a white bass .
    to say the least after 2 hours and ONLY 2 crappie i was thinking well i guess this just aint my day . so i headed off for one last stop on a deep water dock , mind ya deep water there is 17 foot or so . i rolled up and the graph is singing the tune and proceed to wear out some more white bass
    so i moved in extra tight and said one last trick and i am calling it . i stuck my rod tip up under the dock and dropped my jig to the bottom and picked it up about 3 inches ....WHACK ! and on and on it went until it was time to go . the last 30 minutes produced about 30 fat garden variety 9 to 11 inch crappie . one was pretty nice at about 13 inches as well .
    so in the end at the last possible moment i was lucky enough to get a bunch a crappie in my hand . typically i release all my fish and this was the case once again . what a great first day of winter on the water 3 hours .
    Merry Christmas to all
    p.s. and quick heads up to some of my sponsors ....BOBS jigs for that super bright plastic ,Bonehead tackle for the Braid ,Crazy Angler for the jighead ,Shut up and Fish for the electronics and the list goes on ....thanks to everyone involved
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice post!!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Great report yeah
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

good day
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

lOOKS LIKE YOUR KETCH'IN THEM.
    BATES FIELD & STREAM PRO STAFF, MAYFLOWER AR
    CRAPPIEHOLIC APPERAL PRO STAFF
    If Your Big Crappie Star Bound, Let Me Warn You It's a Long Hard Ride. CP

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, better than working or Christmas shopping!
    Fear God, Love your neighbor, Catch fish!
    Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone ....almost got schooled I did .....
    but the boat ran great and the water was super smooth
    the weather wasn't to terribly cold and..
    all my fixed up things performed well ....
    so even if I didn't ketch me a bunch a crappie ....
    it was still a superb outing ...
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice day on the water. And your enthusiasm in each post reminds me of the guy on youtube thewildnorth minus the language and the freezing temps. That dude is relentless. Glad you signed on and are posting.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to feed them fish. Get some meat on um and you will be in the money. Lots of fun for ya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast