Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Reel advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reel advice

Looking for opinions on spinning reel with wide spool for long distance casting of light weight jigs- thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I'd get the best Daiwa or Shimano you can afford.

As for distance casting, it's affected by things other than spool width. Line diameter and rod length also play a big role.

Post Thanks / Like

Disco has a great point. I recommend the same. The best Shimano you can afford. I do have a great Quantum reel that I love but it wasn't cheap either. Another factor in long casting is the stripper guide (first guide eye) on the rod you are fishing with. Is it the correct angle from the reel seat and the reel in question. An oversized reel on a rod with a smaller stripper guide will cause slow down when casting. Same in reverse. Some stripper guides are too big. Some are too small. The main thing a stripper guide is set to do is take the line coil out of the reel and reduce it through to the next eye.

Microwave guide eyes has a really good slow motion video that explains exactly what I am talking about.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd vote on a good Shimano but then again I've never had a bad one!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I do a lot of casting with light jigs from 1/32 oz. up to 1/8th.. I'm using two 7' SHSS (B & M) and one 9' of the same model. I probably cast the 1/16 oz. most. I've started using the Pflueger 2520 President with the 9' model and Shimano Symetres with the 7 footers. Both perform equally well (with the Symetres costing almost twice as much as the Pflueger). So, for me, it's a no brainer, I'm going with the Pfluegers all the way from now on! Great little reels.

BTW, I truly believe that the line you use plays a very important part in the casting distance equation. I use Fireline Crystal 2# test for my main lines on these 3 rigs, each with a 4' section of 4# test fluorocarbon leaders (for the abrasion resistance and minimal stretch). The 2# test braid (actually a fused line) will take quite a beating. Have caught some pretty impressive fish on this light line with no breakages. I suspect actual breaking point to be closer to 6# test, but I can't substantiate that.

I connect the leaders to the main lines using the Alberto knot, which is actually a line weave vs. a knot. Sort of like the old Chinese handcuffs you use to get in the CrackerJack boxes way back when! Rarely has this knot failed me and it's slim profile facilitates long casts, with minimal resistance going through the guides.

I haven't found anyone who has been able to cast further than these rigs can, regardless of the make or cost of equipment. Speaking of which, you can get the above mentioned rod & reel set-up for about $100. - if you go with the Pflueger that is.

These are just my opinions. They work for me. They should work for you. But in all reality, these kind of questions have to do greatly with personal preferences.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use the Presidents on most of my outfits but have recently paired a Pflueger Arbor reel with a St. Croix Premier rod. It will be my go to rod for casting jigs. Cast like a dream and can feel every little tic. Line type/size definitely plays a huge role.

Post Thanks / Like

Pfluger arbor is worth a look.....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one large arbor now and has traded off a couple more. I'm not on the page that they do any better for what I do. Emphasis on "for what I do". i have a Diawa Capricorn that is out of production that is the smoothest reel I've ever owned. I have a couple of Phleugers and a Gander mountain made by them with the Gander name on it. I've had a couple of Shimano's also and know many with them and all happy campers. The Diawa is a 2000 series and sits on a 10 year old Berkley Lightning Rod that's 6'6" and stated as medium action but has a lighter tip than any other medium I've ever handled. It will cast a 1/32 like most of the rest of my rods cast a 1/16. Bass Pro Shop offshore angler 4lb line completes the rig. The overall balance and workabilty of the rod makes it my hands down favorite.
    My point here is that there are many good reels, it's just which one suits your wallet and needs. Rods and reels have to work together so to buy one and not have them together when the decision is made doesn't work for me. with the different materials used nowadays it makes a difference. Go to a store that has lots to offer and strap a few together and you'll see what I mean. All graphite and all aluminum construction is a big weight difference, and weight isn't always bad, depending on the rod they work with. I won't ramble more than I already have, you get the idea. When you find the right one you'll know in an instant and the cost won't matter near as much when you think of how this will be in your hand all day.
    I will say that the St.Croix Premier 66lf and a Phleuger President in a 2000 series size is on my things to get list and is worth a feel. Rod's about $100 and the reel can be price shopped but decide which one does it right in the store.
    Merry Christmas and happy shopping.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Crestliner08, jeepguyjames LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

About five years ago I switched to the Daiwas with the ballistic reverse spool. I have an Exceler,several Capricorns and a Tierra. They are smooth. I throw 1/32 oz roadrunners a lot and they are a little wind resistant and can be hard to throw especially with a jig that has wind resistance on them. I use Trilene XL smooth casting 6lb for mono on the 1500 series and also Power pro 5lb. The power pro will throw further than the mono. I also use Blakemore reel magic on the line occasionally,I think it may degrade the line some over time but it does help put some life back into older line and adds distance. If you pair Power Pro with a good long distance rod and use a ball head with a solid body jig with low resistance....you can throw a loooonnnngggg way. I think I will try one of the Daiwa tournament SS reels next. I always thought they looked old school and were pretty pricey....but has to be something of a following on them because they have made them forever.

I have a Daiwa Capricorn 2500 series spooled with 10 lb smooth casting on an Bass pro 7ft bionic blade medium spinner that with an aerodynamic lure with just a little weight I can throw probably 75 plus yards....I am going to try some power pro on it this year just to see how far I can throw it. WATCH OUT FOR WIND KNOTS THOUGH.

I'm just talkin' over a cup of coffee on that dang ol internet ....and I'm not the expert on anything to do with fishing...my wife reminds me all the time

Post Thanks / Like

I get my gear out of Japan.......and if you ever fish with a spinning reel made in Japan it will spoil you and you will not be happy with anything else. I have 3 Daiwas and one Shimano TwinPower.....and another TwinPower on the way.....they are a master piece of machinery. Now I know most are not going to pay the kind of prices they charge for a spinning reel...but it is an option. If you are wanting to keep it around 150 bucks you can get a Shimano Stradic made for the Japanese Domestic Market delivered to your door.....but that reel is not made in Japan, but in Malaysia....the same as the Stradics in the USA. That same reel from any store in the USA sells for 200 bucks. The only difference is that the smaller series from Japan have a shallow spool. Still quite a bargain versus from a retailer here in TN that I would also have to pay sales tax which would bring the Stradic up to 220 bucks. If none of that sounds good to you I agree with Disco...get a Shimano...or Daiwa, sold here in the US market.

Regards