Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Green trout

Post Thanks / Like

Default Green trout

Not wanting to hijack K's drawing thread I had to start another one about what name we refer to fish in different parts of the country. One I always get a kick out of is what we all around here called largemouth bass a few years ago. I was probably 18 years old before I heard them them calling anything but green trout. We caught alot of them too. I always figured when they became such a popular gamefish and a big business is when they named them bass. After all who would ever go out and spend tens of thousands of dollars on a " green trout boat ".
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.
    Likes scrat, "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The first time I heard that term was when I was in Massachusetts courtesy of the US Army and met a guy from Maine who told me that he used to catch them and throw them up on the bank to die. He said the creeks were for real trout, not for "green trout".
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

If they are legal and the right size I call them supper,but I'm a survivalist with dull taste buds.
    Likes Tony the Tiger, "D" LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Calling them "green trout" doesn't fire up the bass guys like calling them "green carp" or having some show up at the fish cleaning table. Many act like they are on the endangered species list. I grew up catching them in farm ponds and eating them just like most everything else we caught. My wife and I still enjoy one on the table every now and then. I tell my bass fishing buddies I will stop keeping and eating them when they stop catching and eating crappie.

Now, I need to get back to painting an 8 pound version of one.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes "D", RetiredRR LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

the other day we couldnt keep he darn things off our jigs . the first few fish we managed were all "bass" .
    the crappie were having a terrible time getting to our baits and the basket was struggling .
    so being the true fish eating kinda folks we have been known to be .
    my bud says hey go ahead and put that bass in the basket . after i let it swim on !
    the next bass wasnt quite so lucky though ....
    so... green trash fish or green trout or trash fish or whatever else folks want to call it .....
    he was keeping a few fish that day for dinner and that last one got an invite to dinner .
    and i have eaten quite few "green trout" myself over the years ......
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3185
Size:  54.6 KB
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1843
Size:  127.6 KB
    Had a day earlier this month when I couldn't keep them off my line. I don't care for the taste of them so back they went. Why keep them when I had these to munch on.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  97.5 KB
    Likes M R Dux, "D", RetiredRR LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Man don't I know about times of the winter when the Green Carp will plague a crappie fisherman. Also, I did a quick google search of some of the fishing terms and found: The French name, "sac-au-lait", translates in English to "sack of milk", a reference to the sweet taste of the fish. Sac-a-lait is southern Louisiana usage. Elsewhere this species of fish is commonly referred to as a crappie (crop'-ee)... depending of course on how different people pronounce crappie too.

And yes, Tony the Tiger, it appears that you do have a good population of white perch (not to be confused with White/Black Crappie, "Sac -au-lait" or "sacks of milk") in Southern Louisiana. Quick Question: Do you have both white and black crappie in LA??? I was thinking prolly only Black Crappie... but wait your avatar says Alabama... now I am confused.
    Last edited by Special K; 12-21-2015 at 11:47 AM.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17

Post Thanks / Like

Hey S. K. sorry for the confusion. You would be surprised how similar the folks in extremely South West Alabama are to those in SW LA. I have close friends in Cajun Country and my wife's MaMa is from west LA. Many south Al. Natives can trace their ancestry back to the exiles from Acadiana also. I kinda picked up some of these ways when I was a child and young adult on a shrimp boat working the Gulf coast from Florida to Texas. What I've found in the areas of the delta I fish here is mostly black crappie but I do catch an occasional white.
    Last edited by Tony the Tiger; 12-21-2015 at 03:17 PM.
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    The French name, "sac-au-lait", translates in English to "sack of milk", a reference to the sweet taste of the fish. Sac-a-lait is southern Louisiana usage.
    That's all I've ever known them by until I married a girl from Mississippi who's dad calls them white perch or crappie.

Here's my modest haul of Sacalait from this weekend
    Name:  20151220_125626_zpsrrrinyux 2.jpg
Views: 2055
Size:  147.9 KB
    Likes Tony the Tiger, RetiredRR, chaunc LIKED above post

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish guys. I first heard them called green trout from an old lady who lived in the marsh NE of New Orleans. I was fishing for speckled trout and red fish that day. She came out on her porch to ask how we were doing. Fair. She told us the green trout were biting. I had no idea. Then being a true southerner, she gave my buddy and I each a couple rubber worms, as she called them. They were bright kelly green and clear. Well , we then figured out she meant bass and we thanked her and caught and kept several on those rubber worms. Something I'll never forget. Thanks for making me think of that Tony.
    Hey shawnlsu why don't you pm me and let me know where you caught those. I don't usually beg, but I am in need of a good trip. It has been months since I caught more than a few. And we do have white and black crappie in Louisiana. "D"
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both
    Likes Tony the Tiger LIKED above post