Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dang it i'm hung up....CRAP NO I WASN'T!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dang it i'm hung up....CRAP NO I WASN'T!!!!!!

a few years back my dad and I were trolling on current river for walleye in early august about dusk. We hit the deep holes and let about about 75-100' line and troll really slow up river with deep running cranks. we get hung up a lot and are used to messing with the baits to get them un hung fairly easy.. sometimes though it is really hard to tell the difference between a fish that is not really fighting and getting hung up.. so we are in our favorite hole and my heavy duty pole just bends back and line starts flyin off the reel... i fell it and didn't really feel any jerking and said crap i'm hung shut it off.. so we shut the boat off and starting floating back.. i kept tension on it for a while but it still felt like i was hung, so i started my flipping of the rod, and poping the line to try to get off of a what i thought was a rock or log on the bottom.. well about 2 minutes of this later we float down a ways and i see something freakin huge roll and i realized it was a fish.. well by the time i got the line tight again, and starting trying to land it , the hook had worked loose and i lost the fish.. dad got a better look at it than i did and he said it was as big or bigger than the 11lb walleye he has on his wall. i still to this day kick myself for this everytime i troll this hole.. current river has produced some massive walleye... last month there was a 13lb fish in the paper that was officially weighed. and some of our older friends who are retired and fish for them all the time land several in the 8-10 pound range.. oh well huh maybe next time
    highlife... the krystal of all beers

Post Thanks / Like

The big-un that got away....unfortunatly i can relate
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

One day when I was a teen, I was fishing Dexter Lake with a worm on the bottom. Just killin time. All of a sudden my line just starts to go out with a long steady pull that wouldn't quit. I kept trying to turn this fish, but my drag just kept going out. I didn't know what to do, it didn't feel like a fish but it had to be something swimming slowly away with my hook. So I finally tightened down my drag and gave it a big yank. SNAP. I still belive to this day that I'd hooked a big sturgeon that was upstream when they built that dam back in the 50's. It might as well have been a submarine, I wasn't going to turn it with 8lb test line... That fish is probably still swimming in Dexter Lake. Could be over 60 years old, and over 10 feet long. I heard there was a sturgeon caught just below that dam that was just over 6 feet long. A gamewarden there at the time let the fisherman keep it even though it was too long to be legal. That's either a true story or an urban legend. I wasn't there, but heard it from several people who claimed to be.
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

Have heard a lot of stories where people have been crappie fishing with 6-lb test, and have pulled up 50 pound catfish. I saw a picture of a 30 pound catfish that a man in the church I work at pulled out of a lake with 6-lb test. That would be awesome. I did a 6lb bass on a flyrod with 4-lb test leader while bluegill fishing. Got a picture of that. Never caught that fish again.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mine didn't get away

I didn't weigh this one but he was 36" long. It is a blue catfish. Caught him while trolling for crappie on a zebco 33 with either 6 or 8 lb test line. If you look close you will see the 1/8 oz red/white jig laying just under him that he bit. Took me 20 minutes to get him in. I put him back.

Post Thanks / Like

when me & my family first moved to Tennessee from Nebraska we passed a lot of water my step-daughters kept bugging me too go fishing I finally found a place too take the family. I didn't even get a line in the water was working on it when my youngest daughter at the time yelled daddy my pole when I looked down I couldn't tell if she was on her tip toes or actually off the dock I took the pole & thought she landed a tree well about a 1hour 45 minutes later I landed a 32lb blue cat she was using a pole that was about 2 ft. long with 4 lb test & by the time I got it landed the pole was pretty much useless. We were also crappie fishing. She still rubs it in that she caught a bigger fish than me that year but I still got more.
    Good Fishing to all
    bigdaddy 7

Post Thanks / Like

A guy I use to work with took his two young sons fishing in the Arkansas River one afternoon. They were fishing with 12 lb or so line, but dad was fishing a heavier rig with around 30 lb test. They were fishing from a pier and behind them in the slack water, they were loading a barge with grain. He noticed some of the grain was bouncing off the barge and hitting the water, so he turned and cast his line at the barge. It started to sink and stopped. He started setting the hook but it did not budge. He figured he was hung someway on the barge itself, so he relaxed a bit to figure out how to get it loose.... until.... his line started moving.... sideways.... and picked up speed.... and took line off the reel... he started moving the drag, but the fish kept going. He ran to the end of the pier while the fish kept taking line... Reeling, fighting, and nothing else could turn the fish... and when it finally reached the end of the spool, the line just snapped off and kept going down the river.... Not a clue what it was or how big... but I'd bet it was pretty good size....
    My Karma ran over your Dogma...

Click here to view my website

Post Thanks / Like

Default dang it i'm hung up.......

I was fishing my dad on the ARkansas River about 15 years ago and caught a 42 pound flat head on 12 lb line while crappie fishing. It took us about 45 minutes but we got the fish in and had it weighed, took a few photos and the cleaned it. Lots of filets out a 42 lb flathead.

Post Thanks / Like

i was skipping docks one time bass fishing using a senko. i lifted my pole and felt something very solid so i set hook and thought for sure that i set hook in the dock itself. i was using 15 pound braid in some very muddy water. so i tried to pull it free for about 5 minutes using every technique i know to get lures free. nothing was working.out of nowhere there was a huge roll in the water and my line snapped. i could only assume that would have been my first double digit bass if i would have landed it.

Post Thanks / Like

Last year I caught something huge, at Gibson County lake near my home. It weighed it at roughly 330 pounds.....it was .................................................. ..............me..lol. never let out too much line when you cast...you can catch your rear. Luckily it was just in my jeans..no meat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast