Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Perch - Another Drawing by Special K

Post Thanks / Like

Default White Perch - Another Drawing by Special K

According to Wikapedia: "The white perch (Morone americana) is not a true perch but is, rather, a fish of the temperate bass family, Moronidae, notable as a food and game fish in eastern North America. In some locales it is referred to incorrectly as "silver bass". The name "white perch" is also sometimes mis-applied to the white crappie and the white bass.

Generally silvery-white in color, hence the name, depending upon habitat and size specimens have begun to develop a darker shade near the dorsal fin and along the top of the fish. This sometimes earns them the nickname "black-back". White perch have been reported up to 49.5 cm (19.5 in) in length and weighing 2.2 kg (4.9 lb).

Although favoring brackish waters, it is also found in fresh water and coastal areas from the St. Lawrence River and Lake Ontario south to the Pee Dee River in South Carolina, and as far east as Nova Scotia. They are also found in the lower Great Lakes, Finger Lakes, Long Island Sound and nearby coastal areas, Hudson and Mohawk River system, Delaware Bay and Chesapeake Bay. It is also found occasionally in small land-locked lakes and ponds. The raw meat is of a somewhat pinkish hue, but when cooked, it is white and flaky.

Some states consider the white perch to be a nuisance species due to its ability to destroy fisheries. They have been associated with the declines in both walleye and white bass populations because they feed heavily on baitfish used by those species and outcompete them for food and space. Many states have enacted laws forbidding possession of live white perch. Additionally, these states recommend not releasing captured white perch back into the water to help control its spread."

Name:  Ya Gotta Love the Little Bait Snatchers.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  24.5 KB

I love catching these scrappy fighting critters and love to eat 'em... probably as much as crappie... which is what inspired me to do this drawing. If you don't have white perch in your area. Trust me they're prolly coming. This drawing took about 16 hours of elapsed time over about a month and I have entitled it "Ya Gotta Love the Little Bait Snatchers".

Please take a moment to let me know what you think of the drawing.

Thanks, Good Luck & May God Bless, Wayne aka Special K
    Last edited by Special K; 12-19-2015 at 05:20 PM.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice drawing! Needs a hook in his back with a 40 lb blue cat behind him.
    Likes Special K LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Drawing looks great. They probably wiped out the White Bass in Santee and a few other lakes, but I love jigging for them in the winter time and eating them as well. They sure make for a fun day for the grandkids.
    I mostly fish for them on Murray, it is the one lake that I have trouble catching crappie, and it is full of the rascals.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

Huh White Perch is what we call crappie down here. Guess I'll go back to referring to them as Sac au Lait or bag of milk.
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Excellent as always. We have white bass in my neck of the woods. They are strong fish for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

i really like the bottom, the bait, and how the water just fades into the background.
    really looks like your at the bottom of a lake. great job!

Post Thanks / Like

well like rosannadanna say's....it's always something

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! You sir are a real artist. Thanks for the fish information and that fish picture looks great.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Nice story and great drawing. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Great drawing! We love whites up here. They get up to almost 3 lbs. sometimes and put up one heck of a battle! Much tougher fighting than crappie or yellow perch, rivaling the smallmouth bass for the toughest category. Thanks for posting.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast