HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What Crappie eat.

Post Thanks / Like

Default What Crappie eat.

Fishing For Panfish: What Bluegills, Perch, And Crappie Eat
    by In-Fisherman, No Author noted.
    For Educational purpose only!

Bluegills, Perch, Crappies

Do most fishermen know what panfish are eating under the ice? With bass, pike, and walleyes it’s easy. They eat fish. But panfish forage on so many things throughout the year, often switching from one food source to another several times a day, that determining what they eat can be impossible without a thorough understanding of the lake’s biota.

Even biologists don’t know in most instances. Fewer than one percent of all micro-organisms have been identified and classified worldwide, according to biologists writing for Time. Of the macro-invertebrates, which provide the bulk of a bluegill’s diet, only about 10 percent have been identified. Jeff Zernov of Aqua-Vu underwater camera fame recently brought in a video showing millions of macro-¬invertebrates rising from the bottom to dance in front of his underwater lens at sunset. None of us, including our resident biologist, knew what we were seeing.

The good news is that panfish forage lots in winter—which is why they can be caught so readily at times. But what exactly are they eating? With little doubt, panfish are eating zooplankton at some point every winter. Perhaps all day every day. And will that knowledge help you catch them? Only one way to find out.

To continue reading please click…Fishing For Panfish: Bluegills, Perch, Crappies - In-Fisherman
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting read , I am trying to figure out how to get them zooplanktonto stay on my hook now . Buck Perry said many years ago when teaching how to fish he always said the key to success is knowledge . I love to learn new stuff , Thanks for the posts .
    The last 2 times I went fishing the battery died at the ramp so the trolling motor in front of the ramp got a 5 # cat and 2 bass . the next time the wind got up to 25 mph ... 3 bass .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Very interesting read , I am trying to figure out how to get them zooplanktonto stay on my hook now . Buck Perry said many years ago when teaching how to fish he always said the key to success is knowledge . I love to learn new stuff , Thanks for the posts .
    The last 2 times I went fishing the battery died at the ramp so the trolling motor in front of the ramp got a 5 # cat and 2 bass . the next time the wind got up to 25 mph ... 3 bass .
    I don't think you have to worry much about the cold as much as we do...Normally Crappie will feed pretty aggressively until the water hits 39 degrees.
    The main thing is to just check the bellies of Crappie that you take home and learn the forage in your lake...this helps take some of the guess work out if you use artificial lures.
    Some Fish will specialized also, they have researched fish that only survive on freshwater shrimp, and they stay close to the grass that the shrimp live in...others only eat insects, they have evolved to prosper!...I always say that if possible, Mother Nature will find a way!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff