Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ice baits/ spring bobbers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ice baits/ spring bobbers

Been a lot of chatter about ice baits here recently so maybe this will help some of ya'll that live ice free and wonder how hits are noticed. Spring bobbers are the cat's meow for strike detection, but like so much of the tackle we see today, not all of it is created equal. And the tackle industry is bent on selling anglers this concept of two distinctly different seasons: Ice and Open Water. They really want people to believe that the fish know the difference summer and winter, but reality is such that what works in the winter will also work in the summer and vice-versa. These springs are no different.

This is a simple spring bobber made for and distributed by ThorneBros - Thorne Bros. Custom Rod & Tackle, a company that caters big time to ice anglers from Montana to New England. The spring shown here is one of their innovations that has been around for many years and in my opinion is the absolute best of the best in spring bobbers. I no longer spend a lot of time on the ice but I do spend an inordinate amount of time fishing docks at this time of year and while waiting to the ice to fly from our waters in the spring.

This spring has been retro fit to a 6 foot UL rod and is seen holding a 1/32 jig rigged with a Do-It Thump-IT grub of 1.5". I carry two rods rigged this way to the docks when I fish them. Any up-ward hit is instantly seen as the spring relaxes and straightens right out. All other hits end the spring down sharply. The steel used in the springs does not take a set when the springs do a deep bend even for a prolonged time fighting a fish. The latex tube shown in this picture allows the spring to move forward or backward to adjust for lighter or heavier baits. Larger rod tip can require a wrap or two of electricians tape to snug the spring in the rod tip but still allows for easy adjustments.

I have been asked several times in the recent past just what sets ice and open water apart as far as fishing goes and size is maybe the best answer. All aspects of the tackle seem to shrink in the winter, but make no bones about, there are days under ice when crappies will hammer a 2" plastic one day and have to be coaxed into hitting something almost invisible that next. Its when this get light and real touchy that these spring shine. Just thought I share a little from the northland.
    Likes S10CHEVY, snake River LIKED above post

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Good post Tom. This should be on the main board too, as some probably don't come to these forums.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info tom, we don't get much ice down here in Alabama. But that little spring would be nice for night fishing. A lot of technics work in different times and places.

Post Thanks / Like

Good post. Would love to try ice fishing some day. Just too warm here in Arkansas to do that fishing style.