Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: More on what Panfish can see!

Post Thanks / Like

Default More on what Panfish can see!

The Clear Connection for Panfish Lures
    by Cory Schmidt | January 16th, 2014
    Published by In-Fisherman

Ever wondered how fish truly perceive fluorocarbon, a line advocated for its invisible qualities? And how can panfish, trout, and other species dine on transparent prey like zooplankton if they can’t see them? Or can they?

When you examine fluorocarbon under water with an underwater camera or a dive mask, you might be surprised to see that it’s as visible and opaque as braid. But how do the fish perceive it? Does it matter?

The answers to these questions might change the way you approach fishing, or at the least, compel you to question lure selection and colors for certain species, particularly panfish.

Read more: The Clear Connection for Panfish Lures - In Fisherman
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting! I started using mostly black lures after I went on a science field trip with fifth graders where we examined aquatic insects. I learned two things that day: 1) Some insects can breathe under water 2) They are dark colored. I put the two together and started fishing mainly black lures for gills

Post Thanks / Like

We have several Mayfly hatches and when those happen you better own something that mimics the shape, size, and color of the larva or insect.
    I often wondered why in the early Spring after ice out, fish would bite a clear (with silver flake) 2" swimmer or curly tail...I never ice fished, so I didn't put two and two together until a couple years ago!

This also helps to shoot down the invisible Flouro myth with panfish!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17

Post Thanks / Like

While I tend to be very skeptical of when it comes to believing everything I read,I admit this artical intrigues me.I have never been sold on all the colors and color combinations lure folks come up with,( I have never seen anything in the natural bait world that remotely resembles some of the manufactured lures ).
    For a long time I felt that the closer my lure looked natural,the better my odds were to filling the cooler.Though I am realativly new to transparent lures,I will be using them more this year under the ice,providing we get any

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    While I tend to be very skeptical of when it comes to believing everything I read,I admit this artical intrigues me.I have never been sold on all the colors and color combinations lure folks come up with,( I have never seen anything in the natural bait world that remotely resembles some of the manufactured lures ).
    For a long time I felt that the closer my lure looked natural,the better my odds were to filling the cooler.Though I am realativly new to transparent lures,I will be using them more this year under the ice,providing we get any
    Yep, I agree...it seems that under good weather and water conditions that "Match the Hatch" always works for me...but there are times like after a Heavy Rain (dark water), dark heavy clouds, etc., that a Bright Color combo catches their attention better!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff