Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie, Barometric Pressure and Weather!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie, Barometric Pressure and Weather!

Crappies, Barometric Pressure And Weather – North To South
    by Matt Straw, Published in IN-FISHERMAN Magazine.
    For educational Purposes only!

A gray world closed in around us in the narrow canal. Hills rose up steeply on both sides. The water was 1 to 2 feet deep all the way across and we had over 500 yards to go to reach a dead-end knob of a bay. We were forced to paddle and pole our way, trees blending into clouds overhead. The water was cooler than the air. It was an unseasonably warm April morning in Michigan. Upon reaching the little bay, we were very careful not to make noise, quietly slipping the anchor into water clear as the morning air.

The little bay was only 4 feet deep at the deepest point, held no weeds, and had only a couple fallen trees for cover in water too shallow for crappies to use. But it was the first place to warm up on the little lake, attracting big, spooky, black crappies. We slipped minnows or waxworms onto 1/64-ounce jigs 2 feet below small Rainbow Plastics A-Just-A-Bubbles and pitched beyond the deepest pool as softly as we could with 2-pound line, then reeled the floats slowly back to the pool.

And we waited for what seemed like an eternity...

To Read More of this article go to Crappies, Barometric Pressure And Weather - North To South - In-Fisherman
    Last edited by Slab; 12-16-2015 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Please only quote a small excerpt, not most of article
    Keitech USA Pro Staff
    Likes RMGeorge LIKED above post

RMGeorge is online now Louisiana Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When I try the link a notice appears saying "web page not available".

Looks like a very interesting article.
    Proud member of Team Geezer!

The grass withers and the flower fades, but the word of our God shall stand forever.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me look at it again...The first time it did that to me, and I Googled "Crappie and Barometric pressure" and the In-Fisherman link was the first one!
    Heck, I even double checked it!lol

Here's the link
    Crappies, Barometric Pressure And Weather - North To South - In-Fisherman
    Last edited by INTIMIDATOR; 12-16-2015 at 09:42 AM.
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I fixed the original link. I also removed a lot of the article. You can only post a small excerpt, and then link to them, otherwise it's violates the rules, both copyright rules and the sites rules. But thanks for the link.

I'm not an attorney, and I prefer to stay way clear of them. I'd suggest following this guideline I found on the net.

"It’s fine to excerpt a short section of an original content piece to give readers a feel for it (this generally falls under the category of fair use). But quoting long excerpts gives the reader very little reason to click through and read the full article — plus, it could blur the lines between fair use and copyright infringement."
    I found it here: Ethical Content Curation
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Well Heck, I'll get this down soon enough...there's a lot of good info out there to help folks!
    I think I got it now...belt, suspenders, and duct tape, or duck tape!lol
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INTIMIDATOR View Post
    Well Heck, I'll get this down soon enough...there's a lot of good info out there to help folks!
    I think I got it now...belt, suspenders, and duct tape, or duck tape!lol
    We love In-Fisherman, we want to support their extensive efforts providing us all this kind of good information. We don't want to honk them off.

Name:  duck-tape-for-blog-7-10-1024x780.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  26.7 KB
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I always find these articles confusing. Isnt a falling barometer good as in approaching low pressure? I have always found rising barometer (high pressure) the most difficult. We had a weak high pressure move over us yesterday evening. Wind switched ta a nw blow at 15-20. The wind calmed this morning and I went fishing under high pressure and clear blue skies. The fish were reluctant biters to say the least. Went to a few favorite spots and started casting, caught nothing. Went to verticle jigging and was watching the fish on the finder react to my jig, stare for a few seconds then swim away. I moved to what is always a sure thing kind of spot. Marked fish everywhere but couldnt buy a bite. Went down in jig size and added a little flavor from a crappie nibble and finally caught one.

As the day went on dark clouds formed in the west and the wind switched from nw to se. Suddnly the bite improved with very active fish taking casted artificials without any sweetening. It was as if someone hit a switch and all the fish i could see on side imaging were suddenly catchable.

Maybe i need to reread the article but it sounds like hes saying the opposite.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Zippy
    This is the best description that I have found...

Easy-to-understand barometric pressure and impact on fishing.
    by Ted Takasaki and Scott Richardson
    July 01, 2009

Todd Heitkamp still remembers the day his professor first explained the basics of barometric pressure in a Weather 101 class at the University of Wisconsin in Madison....
    Barometric pressure is just the weight of the air, the prof said. It constantly pushes down on everything, like a big hand. It presses down on you, the earth and the surface of the water. He went on to say that stormy weather results from low pressure, when the 'hand of the atmosphere' pushes down with less strength. On the opposite end of the spectrum, clear blue skies come from high pressure, or a heavy hand, the teacher said.

Heitkamp instantly recognized how that analogy could help fishermen understand how fish behave. Most people use a barometer simply to help them guess as to whether they should take an umbrella with them. But, barometric pressure readings can also predict whether fish are likely to be biting, or if they will soon be biting- or, perhaps, if it's best to stay home.

Time on the water has confirmed the professor was speaking the truth, according to Heitkamp, who's been a meteorologist for the National Weather Service for the past 20 years.

To read more click here Easy-to-understand barometric pressure and impact on fishing
    Keitech USA Pro Staff