HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scents or no scents...that is the question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scents or no scents...that is the question.

I still act like I am bass fishing when targeting specs with jigs. I have been putting some scent on the jigs and catching ok, but just wonder if that is common with the pros. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jjsmarlin View Post
    I still act like I am bass fishing when targeting specs with jigs. I have been putting some scent on the jigs and catching ok, but just wonder if that is common with the pros. Any thoughts would be welcomed.
    "Pro" leaves me out ... but, my thoughts are that it just may not be all that necessary, but it probably doesn't hurt to use a scent.

I've used them in the past, Bass fishing, and really didn't notice a big uptick in the number of bites. I've used some plastics that were scented, Crappie fishing, and got bites on them .... but never experimented to see if an unscented bait of the same color & size & shape would produce at the same time.

And as for the real "Pro's" (as in TV anglers & tournament pro's) ... IMHO, they're paid to advertise their Sponsors products. And they don't always keep the same Sponsors over the course of their professional career. I'll leave it at that, and you judge for yourself.

... cp
    Likes NIMROD, Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks....kind of what I figured. I also think some fishy smelling stuff is better than my hands if I am spider rigging.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jjsmarlin View Post
    Thanks....kind of what I figured. I also think some fishy smelling stuff is better than my hands if I am spider rigging.
    Like I said ... it probably won't hurt.

Some people rub their jigs in the slime of the fish they catch ... cheapest "scent" going

I smoke, handle gas & oil products, and suntan lotion ... and probably transfer some of that to the baits I use. Hasn't seemed to have much of a negative effect, but there's really no way to know for sure ... since you can't go back in time and fish the same place/way, minus those chemical influences. But, like I said ... that's just me. Other's results may differ.

... cp
    Likes Jjsmarlin, NIMROD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Chartreuse chromaglow crappie nibbles...I only wish I got paid to promote them.As it is I just hate to see people go through life missing out on them.Everything that swims bites them. And I do mean everything.
    Likes prefers shiners, DRFISHDUCK LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to believe scent doesn't play as big of role as some say it does.I lean more toward vision and motion,but scent could play a large role in very muddy water that hinders a fishes ability to see.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doggone View Post
    Chartreuse chromaglow crappie nibbles...I only wish I got paid to promote them.As it is I just hate to see people go through life missing out on them.Everything that swims bites them. And I do mean everything.
    I don't like the mess and never could tell any difference , except Bream love them . I have done some guiding and tested them here and was not impressed .

One day I fished several stakebeds with plain jigs till bite stopped added a nibble and tried same spot then repeated the test on several more beds . I failed to catch any more after adding a nibble to my jig . Folks said it was unfair test cause I had already caught the fish off those spots . My take is if I catch them without nibbles why use them ? But if you have confidence in nibbles or other scent use them . Too much added cost , mess on my boat , and need to reapply often for me to use .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes Centerliner LIKED above post

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Like I said ... it probably won't hurt.

Some people rub their jigs in the slime of the fish they catch ... cheapest "scent" going

I smoke, handle gas & oil products, and suntan lotion ... and probably transfer some of that to the baits I use. Hasn't seemed to have much of a negative effect, but there's really no way to know for sure ... since you can't go back in time and fish the same place/way, minus those chemical influences. But, like I said ... that's just me. Other's results may differ.

... cp
    I know a guy that mistakenly put suntan lotion on his Bass bait. Did not realize it till he caught one and went to reapply it .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes Tony the Tiger, Jjsmarlin, Centerliner LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I am a firm believer in the crappie nibbles, I have ran my own tests on 3 different lakes I fish and have found at all three the nibbles helped. Now when the bite was slow , the nibbles seemed to help the most.
    One thing I do with them before using is to open a jar and leave the lid off for several days this hardens them and they stay on hook better.
    Philippians 4; 13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
    Likes Hotpepper LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    I know a guy that mistakenly put suntan lotion on his Bass bait. Did not realize it till he caught one and went to reapply it .
    LOL !!! Doesn't surprise me in the least, Nimrod !!

I'm thinking that with all the gas, oil, suntan lotion, nicotine, and other fluids & chemicals that are put into our waters .... the fish are either accustomed to it, so they probably don't pay it much mind, or are addicted to it and it rings their bell

... cp
    Likes Tony the Tiger, NIMROD, Centerliner LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast