Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maribou jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maribou jigs

Hey guys, I think I'm gonna ask a bit of a stupid question here. How in the heck do you guys fish a maribou jig? Is it sort of like fishing a plastic worm while bass fishing? I have tried them here and there and had no luck. My experience with them is very limited. Also, not to give all your secrets away where would you normally fish them? I would assume in brush piles and maybe a dock or two? Thanks for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

FISH THEM LIKE OTHER JIGS BUT THEY ARE NOT GOOD FOR SHOOTING DOCKS.
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd fish them casting, longline trolling, possibly even spider rigging, and vertical jigging. Even the Vertical Casting technique, as explained in my article, would be an option: ( Crappie Pappy Article )

I might even try them dock shooting, but likely only if the "openings" were pretty wide ... and by "openings" I mean the distance between the water's surface and the dock. I wouldn't expect them to skip very well, or at least not near as well as a jig with a plastic body on it.

But, to be quite honest with you .... I don't use marabou jigs very often, for any technique, unless you consider a (marabou) Roadrunner as a "marabou jig". Then, I'd have to say that I do use them often ... mostly cast & retrieve or single pole in hand trolling. And even then I use them around wood cover, and only when I'm pretty much aware of the layout of that cover, so that I don't get hung up very often and have to break one off or take the chance of compromising the cover by trying to retrieve the lure.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

PITCH, countdown reel slow around treetops and bedding areas in spring. Deep in winter vertical jigging works good too.

Post Thanks / Like

Just like any other jig. And they work just fine for docks to I use them 90% of the time on docks.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer feathers over maribou. I wish I knew why, but the fish sure do seem to appreciate my presentation of feather jigs. There are other types of hair that have been productive, at times, but if I'm vertical jigging, feather jigs are on the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filletfetish View Post
    I prefer feathers over maribou.

Maribou is a feather.

Post Thanks / Like

A maribou jig is my all-time favorite lure. It's the best lure ever devised, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Maribou is a feather.
    You are correct. I meant to say I prefer streamers over Marabou. I think that's what they're called. More of a flank feather. I obviously had feathers on the brain since I mentioned it three times in my short response.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filletfetish View Post
    You are correct. I meant to say I prefer streamers over Marabou. I think that's what they're called. More of a flank feather. I obviously had feathers on the brain since I mentioned it three times in my short response.
    That's what I figured. I just didn't want any newbies to get confused.
    Likes filletfetish LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast