Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Line Stop for Bobbers?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your Favorite Line Stop for Bobbers?

Just curious what your favorite line stop for bobbers is? I have used both the string type and the plastic "weave" type. Undecided which I like better...

Post Thanks / Like

I use the string,and the rubber bead with good success.Lately I've been using the rubber bead,with very good results.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a cheap-0. Just take a rubber band and cut it into three pieces and just tie one on my line. works just fine and let's the paperboy deliver my supply of stops

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used the rubber ball, dog bone, and ladder shaped stops ... and prefer the rubber ball one, but with reservations. They last longer, but are more prone to slipping or hanging in the tip & guides. The dog bone and ladder shaped plastic ones hold their place better, but are harder to get through the tip/guides and harder to change depths with... and they deteriorate (become brittle) faster than the rubber ones. Plus, they kink the line up pretty bad, too

I never got around to using the string ones, but I'd say that if you could cinch them down tight enough & trim them close (and not have to change depths often) ... then they might be a better option, especially if you have a small tip eye & guides.

Many people use dental floss in place of the commercially made strings/bead stops, and just purchase a bag of small plastic beads (with a hole small enough to not allow the knot to pass through). Others, like "ibmack", just use a rubber band and improvise

... cp

DaveB40 is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Up north here in Illinois, my fishin' buddies and I all use the Thill string stops with a tiny plastic bead. Works great and no problems with it passing thru the eyes on the rod. I have an older Daiwa slip-bobber rod that I use and this rig works really well. Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I use string - or actually - braid. I bought a bulk roll of 12# braid which is bright orange and tie a Uni knot around my line. It is easy to change depths as I just grab the knot between two fingers and pull the line through it which ever way I need to. For a bead I use a small glass bead I bought at Hobby Lobby.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I like the ease of use with the string but it seems to change depth on me a lot. Maybe I am not doing it right...

Post Thanks / Like

The string is nearly impossible to put on wrong,that being said,you may not be pulling the tag ends firmly enough.word of caution,if after you pull the tag ends tight you cut them off too short,you will not have enough tag to tighten again should the knot loosen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apersohn17 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I like the ease of use with the string but it seems to change depth on me a lot. Maybe I am not doing it right...
    Exactly what the guy above said...PULL the tag ends TIGHT!!! When you do it stays in place for a LONG time, even if you have to slide it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    I use string - or actually - braid. I bought a bulk roll of 12# braid which is bright orange and tie a Uni knot around my line. It is easy to change depths as I just grab the knot between two fingers and pull the line through it which ever way I need to. For a bead I use a small glass bead I bought at Hobby Lobby.

I went one step further and tied about 5 loops over one of the small stirrer straws like they give you at some coffee or food shops. I then slide it over the line and pull off and tighten like the commercial ones. I used dental floss because I have about 6 miles of it from dentist's visits 3X a year. One time they gave me a flat black dental floss and it worked great for wrapping rod guides or hook keepers.

That being said, once I found the small rubber ball shaped ones I started using them instead. The thread probably works best as far as moving off the reel or through the guides though.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast