Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dock shooting small jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default dock shooting small jigs

I shoot docks most of the time. Have seen Russ Bailey videos talking about shooting 1/48 oz jigs with floats, my problem when using floats and 1/48 jigs the jig will not fall to the knot stop. Have tried using a small sinker but don't really like it. Also when shooting 1/48 oz jigs without a float I find it very hard to shoot them under a dock, they are so light I get to tend to shoot upward. I use a 6' and 7' rod with 4 or 6 lb line, will a shorter rod help. I do use the ice fishing float when I can find them. They are very hard to find. Any advise

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a novice when it comes to shooting docks but when I learned we used 1/64th oz jigs and a 1.75" bait. Shot just fine. Never heard of using a float on it?

Post Thanks / Like

Using a float allows the bait to say longer in the striking area. I had them hit it setting still next to a post under docks or boat houses. A 1/32 oz will fall very slow sometimes that is just the ticket.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a very limp 2# line will go through the bobber?

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking Russ "pegged" the float when he was shooting with small jigs ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Russ pegged the float ...but I guess not ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried this before with mixed results. I had to use a slip float and 1/16 jig even then it was problematic. I did make it work but it took some practice. Just wasn't worth the trouble. You can fish a 1/32 or smaller pretty darn slow with light line so I got away from it.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by agruss View Post
    I had them hit it setting still next to a post under docks or boat houses.
    Then you may want to try this : Crappie Pappy Article

I never use a jig smaller than a 1/32oz head (tipped with 1.5" plastics) ... and shoot docks with 6lb test Vicious Panfish copoly line. Never tried a tied jig, but I'd say one with a plastic body on it would skip better/farther. The plastic body also helps slow the fall of the jig.

You "might" get a better distance shot under a dock, using a shorter rod ... but, likely only if you get right up close to the dock. I've shot docks with 5' - 8' rods ... and get about the same distance "under" the dock, by virtue of adjusting how far away from the dock I take the shot vs length of rod. I've come to prefer using a very fast action tip rod, over the UL or microlite rod, regardless of length. They just seem to load up stronger and "shoot" the jig harder, giving me greater distance & making the jig "skip" easier than a soft action rod.

I'm reminded of a video of Russ Bailey, from back sometime between 2001-2004, doing a Midwest Crappie show with a friend of mine, on Watts Bar Lake in E. Tn. ... and possibly learning or trying "dock shooting" for the first time. My friend (Don York) told Russ that he used a 6'6" med action Bass rod to shoot docks Russ wasn't using a float back then, and I don't remember whether or not he was being sponsored by any particular rod company, either. So, suffice it to say that ... whatever rod length/type/action/etc. one uses ... it's all up to the user and what works for them.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, shooting the light bobby garland jigs 1/48 & 1/64 seems to be a problem for many folks. I can shot 1/32 with a float and do ok but nothing smaller. Russ Bailey who is a pro can do things I can not. I have tried a 5' rod with 4lb and the 1/48 jig and do well, but not will a float. May be as good as I can do.

Post Thanks / Like

few of you guys mention using floats. what brand & size floats are you guys using ?
    thx,
    dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast